Hello. I want to share with you a conversation I had with my friends two days ago. We started arguing about what’s the best diet for our dogs. I personally think that BARF diet is something that is already tested and turned out to be great. Some of them on the other hand do not support raw feeding. I don’t know how, but we ended up discussing canned food and kibble. They all agree that canned food is a better option and I don’t agree. Is canned food really better than kibble? And if it is, what are the reasons for that?

Well, I am not sure that we can firmly claim that canned food is better than kibble. Both of these types of food have their pros and cons and it’s pretty much up to every owner to decide what fits his dog best since many dog food specialist are discussing this topic and still have different opinions.

The main advantage of  canned food is that it typically contains more meat protein than kibble. Which is very important. And  also canned food is usually made with fewer carbohydrates.

My dog for example won’t taste canned food. It’s either raw food or kibble for him. It’s been that way ever since he was a puppy.

Hello. Frankly, I am not so sure that this is true at all. I mean, it is true that both have their pros and cons, but I don’t know which food I would chose. I know that canned food can be superior to kibble in many, many ways, because this food contain more meat protein.  Canned dog foods contain no synthetic preservatives, and that means that fats and oils sealed inside those cans don’t easily become rancid. Also, you don’t have to be afraid that this type of food has flavorings and colorings. Manufacturers and a lot of vets clime that meat ingredients in can are closer to their natural state. 

I totally agree with rubilock. Both canned food and kibble have their pros and cons.

If we say that canned food is better, these are the facts we know: less carbs and more meat proteins (like previous poster stated); this food taste better and is more palatable to our dogs; and canned food is softer so it is beneficial to older dogs with dental issues.

Otherwise, kibble is superior to canned food because: it is easier and cheaper to prepare; kibble can remain fresh much longer than canned food; kibble is great for maintaining the oral health of your dog and kibble have less fat than canned alternatives.

So, it seems it all depends on your own preferences. 

Um, I am not so sure. I think that both are good. Kibble is cheaper, and one better thing is because it can stay in the bowl longer than other food. Canned food include more proteins, good fats and less chemical, but I think that someone mentioned this up there, in the posts. I just want to say that this type of food is better for your dogs, I mean, it is tasty and they will eat it gladly :) When you ask your vet about this, I am pretty sure that he won’t tell you anything that we haven’t told you here. Most important is to read list of the ingredients. 

I’m very surprised by these posts. I thought it is obvious that canned food is way better than kibble. 

If the price is the same, would you rather buy kibble? I know I wouldn't. 

In my experience, dry food is only for those dog owners who, because of their bad financial situation, can’t afford to buy canned food. And there are so many of us in that situation. If I could choose, I’d never pick dry food over canned. 

You’ll often see people buying canned food to their dogs as a treat. I do that sometimes, because I can’t afford buying it regularly.

Yes, canned food is way better than kibble. I know that a lot of my friends are for kibble, but they never have heard some arguments why is something better than other choice :) But, I don’t know why, I think when something is cheaper it is not so good :) That is my opinion :) Yes, canned food is a little bit expensive, and someone just can’t afford it, but I support theory that when you want to do something well, do it with a style. The same thing is for food for your dog. You will always choose what is best for your pet, right? I am not going to write about pros and cons, because a lot of people wrote them already.