I started taking ambien about 2 years ago.  I liked the way it made me feel happy.   At first i'd take a half during the day, and one at night.   Now i'm up to about 5 during the day, 3 at night to sleep.    I am always running out and paniking.   Thats not the only reason I want to stop.  I've gained 50 lbs from sleeping all the time.  I'm depressed (I suffered from depresseion before I started taking ambien.)   I don't even brush my hair daily : (   I am not even working.   I feel horrible when I don't have ambien tho.   VERY depressed and scared and anxious.   Obviously i'm getting them from more than just my dr.    IF i tell my dr about this, will she cut me off....or taper me off?   Will I go to jail?   IF i check out treatment or go to ER ever for withdrawl, would they give me something for the withdrawls?   I've never went 24 hrs without ambien since i got addicted (almost 2 years ago)    Please help me...i'm so scared...i want my life back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  thanks

Tried to send a long reply but it failed. Just testing to see if it will work

Hmm....comments keep getting recited.

What I was saying what that I am also chemically dependent on ambien, to the point of running out of them at the end of the month & have to go without for a week...do that's a week wide awake. :/

But I also, find myself taking ambien in the daytime, its fun, makes me relaxed, gets rid of my anxiety, etc. but this is definitely abusing my med. my dr said to only take 10 minutes before sleep.

The only thing that sucks about it is the whole "I'm here, but not really here" feeling I get the day after & how I pretty much forgot EVERYTHING.

I think its definitely time to get help with your addiction. Ambien is a very addictive drug & people can become dependent on it very quickly. Large quantity use over a long period of time can cause some serious memory loss & amnesia, if not brain damage.

If you tell your doctor the amount that you're taking (and be truthful) he/she will be able to wean you off/monitor you more closely...and possibly give you an additive sedative to help you with withdraw symptoms and if not point you in the right direction. Typically doctor's don't just "cut you off" of a medication you are addicted to, because the effects of withdrawl from cognitive altering drugs like ambien tend to be more severe then taking the actual med. (seizures, stroke, heart failure).

Hope you get help soon.

I am going through the same thing. And went to rehab and now back on them. I am so scared.

I just took my last ambien 5 days ago. I have taken ambien for 2-3 years. I went off cold turkey only because I have no insurance to go to a rehab. I only took ambien to sleep but started to have withdrawal during the day. The drug has stopped working for me. I had to take more and more. I am very scared about life without ambien. I am terrified. I am freaking out and not happy. 

Grumpycat, how are you doing? I tried to quit ambien last night. Had night terrors and horrible leg pain. Im terrified too. Were you able to stop?

slowly taper but in a strict manner ; no BS. Get your mind into a more clear state and make some solid life decisions from here on out