I have serious troubles with my sleeping. Since I work in the third, late night shift, I never manage to get enough sleep during the daytime; I always steal some of my work time for a short nap. When I get home, at about 8 AM, I am sleeping until 8 PM. After I wake up, I am completely paralyzed for a few minutes. I have only a few hours to eat, make a coffee, and then again into the third shift… Is my disorder dangerous? How long will I be able to take it?

Sir, you have first wrecked your circadian rhythm, which can very much influence your habits and your mood. I believe that then you began suffering from narcolepsy, a neurological disorder whose main symptoms are uncontrollable, excessive sleep, regardless of the time of day or whether the person has had enough sleep during the previous night. Possible disorders that may follow narcolepsy are brief episodes of muscle weakness or paralysis caused by laughter and anger (cataplexy) or paralysis for upon awakening from sleep. It may affect several members of the same family and is, unfortunately, a life-long condition. Medications help to reduce the symptoms but do not cure the disease. You should try to change your shift first.