Can you help? My husband was just diagnosed with sinus tachycardia. We have been under a lot of stress lately with him being laid off, sick elderly parents, teenage stress, and the threat of foreclosure on our house. He just recently landed a new job, and we really don't want this medical condition to interfere with that. I've understood that food and drink can make a big difference to sinus tachycardia even without any medication. Some foods are supposed to make it worse and some better. What are the dos and donts here? I am new to this and basically know nothing about it other than it being a heart beat that is too fast, so I would really appreciate some input. 

Thanks.

Well yes, certain foods can stimulate the heart rate, making it go up even further, and those are probably foods that your husband should be avoiding right now as per his doctor's advice. Foods and drinks that can make the heart rate go up include coffee and anything with caffeine (including energy drinks, cola, certain teas), alcohol, too much sugar, and though not a food, cigarettes also fall into this category. Cutting down on those or eliminating them in consultation with the doctor is likely to cause significant improvements. However, medication cannot always be avoided so keep that in mind. Best of luck!

People with tachycardia definitely benefit from watching their diet. Any stimulant will aggravate it, and the worst offender which most people use is coffee and other caffeinated beverages. Not being able to have (much) caffeine doesn't mean staying away from coffee though. After an initial adjustment period (one can taper down), decaffeinated coffee can be just as enjoyable as "real" coffee. Of course both obesity and high cholesterol also contribute to tachycardia, so someone with tachycardia should consult their doctor about a low-fat diet that keeps both at bay. Sugar is another thing that should be used on moderation (a lot of moderation) but it does not need to be cut out completely, which is impossible anyway since sugars in some form are in most healthy foods. Working on cutting down on added sugar will definitely help.

HTH

Here is an overview of foods that can affect arrhythmia. Hope it will help you.

- Caffeine: can be found in coffee, coca cola, some teas, energy drinks, and some other sodas. Can speed up heart rate especially if used in large quantities.
- Alcohol. Can throw heart rhythm off balance in some people.
- High protein diet.
- Liquid only diet.
- The herb ephedra used for common cold.

This list is not exhaustive and if you are suffering from heart rhythm disorders you should consult your doctor about different medications you may be taking that could affect you as well, including over the counter medication. Though maintaining or getting to a healthy weight is very important, do not attempt a diet without your doctor's agreement and lose the recommended amount per week and no more.

With tachycardia, you want to be looking at a low-fat diet. Tachycardia is a risk factor for heart disease, and being overweight or having high cholesterol levels increases that risk even further. Take it easy on the simple carbs, red meats, fried foods, and so on and look for a heart healthy diet. Instead, focus on real foods and high amounts of fruits and vegetables, wholewheat products, low fat dairy products, that kind of thing. Your diet can make an enormous difference to your general health and the tachycardia, so it is good that you are taking this seriously.

I have sinus tachycardia too and noticed that whenever I eat something with carbs, like pasta, potatoes, bread, that kind of thing, it sent my heart racing in no time. I have other health problems too, and my doctors aren't sure what is causing this, but my solution has been to cut down on carbs and to focus on protein and vegetables instead. This works for me. I also have to stay away from energy drinks, of which I used to drink a lot. That is obvious, really, because caffeine stimulates the heart.