Hi, folks. I have recently discovered that I am allergic to caffeine. I must admit that this disturbed me since I adore coffee. I would like to know if this means that I am allergic to black tea also. What do you think? I will appreciate all your replies considering this. Thank you in advance.

Hi, there. I would also hate caffeine allergy if I had it. I am also caffeine addict. I am afraid you won’t be able to drink black tea. It also contains caffeine that could trigger allergic reaction. I would advise you to exclude other products that contain caffeine. Those would be: green tea, chocolate, kombucha, cola, guarana, verba mate, etc. You can consult your pharmacist about other products. I hope this helps. Bye!

Hello dewain, 

I understand that it is hard to have to stop drinking coffee once you are used to it, but it definitely is not impossible – especially when you really don’t have many other options. But, you still can drink de-caffeinated coffee, if you miss the taste without risking your health. Black tea does contain caffeine, in fact – tea contains caffeine.

The other major source of caffeine that potentially might cause you the problems is sodas, Cola in particular, because it contains fairly large amount of caffeine. Energy drinks are obviously off the allowed list, since they have even more caffeine than coffee. Since you are allergic to the caffeine, I think you will have to pay extra attention to reading food and drink labels, because caffeine is present in so many of them.