Hello all! I am a 31 woman that is obese.  I am just looking for little tricks of foods to eat that will increase my motabalism (sorry spelled that wrong). and maybe the foods to stay away from!  I know my vice is pepsi and plan to give that up.  I also have bad skin complexion so the foods for that would help.  How much water should I drink? I can tell you I am not much of a meat eater but i do like my bird meat.  I don't really like fruits but I love my veggies! However I like them steamed with margerine  Any little tidbit can help. Thanks

Celebrity

Hey Sweety :)

You are on a good path. 

Yep, you do need to give your pepsi habit. Drink water instead - about 1.5 l minimum daily. This of course depends on your physical activity and whether you're livinh in a hot or humid climate...  

And generally avoid any sugary drinks.... If you need to sweeten your coffee or tea, use steavia instead.

No problem if you don't like fruits, - they contain too much sugar anyway. Veggies are great, but also depends which types of veggies you eat. 

Bird meat is perfectly fine. The amount of meat is the key factor here: for a female person with a weight loss goal, the size per potion should be around 150 g.

Fish is also great source of proteins.

Generally you should avoid eating too much bread, but whole grains are perfectly fine.       

Give me list of food that you love and that you usually eat, and I will let you know what is ok and what is not. OK?   

Celebrity

Oh, I have just noticed you like your veggies steamed with margarine. Steaming technique is great - it keeps most of the vitamins, but margarine is a big no-no if you are trying to lose weight.

Sometimes I add just a little soy sauce to add flavour, or simply some herbs to add the flavor.  

Foods I like to eat.... Well, like I said, my birds, but here is the thing, I won't make chicken everyday or anything like that. I have two children and I don't really like making the same thing twice in a month. I will just skip the meat part. I love rice! As for veggies, I love my ca

oops mistake accidentally sent... as for veggies i love almost all! my favorites are carrots, spinache and brussel sprouts... I know it seems weird but my kids love the spinache and brussel sprouts too. I like lettuce but I do not like mixed salads... i prefer my salad to be lettuce with cut up cheese and dressing! So cutting out bread huh? does that categorize with pasta? I HATE pasta but I do like my egg noodles. I guess pizza's out of the question, we are lucky to eat that every once or twice. Another big thing is I only eat one meal a day! I find that I feel ill if I eat within the first 8 hours of waking up. I am not physically active unless u include house cleaning as a workout. My plan is to cut out or minimize the bad things to lose some weight so im not so sluggish, then gradually bring on activity. I tire out very easily. I do not drink coffee but I do crave sugary drinks, do you possibly have a suggestion? Someone said there is a Crystal light drink I might want to try or even try a flavored cranberry juice (not cocktail) that will help my sweet tooth and also help me clean my system. I live in Ontario, Canada so its kind of cold here now. unfortunately the only fish I like to eat is tuna and deep fried beer battered pollock. and when u say bread is out? does this include wraps?

Celebrity

it's great that you love veggies and these that you love are great - lettuce, spinach, carrots, brussel sprouts - they are all great!

Bread, pasta, (egg) noodles, rice  - these are all carbs - mostly "white" carbs - if you could replace them with whole grains - spaghetti made of whole grains, brown rice and similar examples - they are all better comparing to usual white spaghetti... 

I am not saying you should cut carbs - absolutely not - your body needs them and it's perfectly healthy to eat them - I am just saying there are better carbs than we are usually used to  consume.

I use rice or corn gellette instead bread - they are low on calories and much healthier - of course they cannot substitute bread in all occasions and all meals - but for me they are a perfect fit with pate or sth smilar.

Regarding energy - increase the amount of water - 1,5 liters should be your usual amount.

perhaps when you're craving something sugary - eat a banana or a few almonds (don't go over the top with them - a handful of them is enough for one day serving).

Crystal light drink - never heard of it - I would avoid all prepacked drinks - water should really be your choice. If you don't like the taste since it's tasteless :) - add a juice from one orange or grapefruit or sth similar.

Also regarding sugar and it's substitutes - have you tried Stevia? It is natural - it is not artificial sweetener, so it won't bring your insulin levels up, it's natural - made from a plant and it's about 100 times sweeter than sugar. if you use it in liquid form - one drop equals one spoon of sugar. So, i would suggest that you use stevia in your cakes etc...   Replace sugar with stevia - it's much healthier and I think it is even high on some minerals.

Also regarding exercise and so on - you will be surprise how much more energy you'll have after exercising - you will probably feel tired at the beginning but hang on in there. You don't have to start lifting weights or jogging - start walking for stat. 30 minutes of walk every day. You will notice an improvement in your energy levels - you will see.

let me know what you think about that.

I hope I helped a bit.

hi there!! loosing weight can be hard but its so worth it.

the trick is to change your life style rather than fad diets. its a long term commitment. 

its good to have your family behind you, make sure you let all your friends and family know that you are on a diet so that they know and can support you. 

1. in terms of your diet, one of the easiest things can be switching up the white carbs you eat with brown ones. this is an easy switch. 
  • white bread, to brown bread
  • white rice, to brown rice
  • white pasta, to brown pasta

THIS IS AN EASY CHANGE, which you can totally do. 

2. another easy thing to do is meal planning

• set out what you are going to do for the next week
  • plan 3 meals (breakfast-lunch-dinner) 
  • plan 3 snacks 
  • make them healthy but this means it can also be delish
  • this could be 

- muesli, fruit and yougurt for breakfast

- cheese and biscuits for morning tea

- chicken salad for lunch

- piece of fruit and nuts for afternoon tea

- salmon and salad for dinner

- frozen yogurt for dessert 

planing means that you wont get lazy and binge or fall back on the wagon. 

3. give up fast food

4. do more exercise per week. dont go crazy or you will get tired and give up

maybe try getting off the bus 2 stops early, or walking the dog or to the store 

hope this helps!!

TayaTaya,  I thought carbs were carbs.  Aren't whole grain carbs the same as afar as weight gain is concerned?

Celebrity

"white" carbs are processed - they "pass" though your organism quicker comparing to whole grains. Carbs are an important macronutrient and shouldn't be avoided - it is however important to choose the best type...