Hello guys.

My good friend’s son has some health issues since the day he was born. He is always sick, he sometimes has some trouble breathing and he is only 13 years old. He is playing soccer since he was seven and at the last physical examination he found out that he is having ectopic rhythm.

I really want to know is there a chance that a person with an ectopic rhythm develop ventricular tachycardia?

Do you have any experience with it? Is this even possible?

I want to help my friend because she is freaked out. Thank you so much. 

Hi Eric,

I'm sorry to hear this about your friend's son.

In most cases, this condition is harmless and resolves without medical intervention. Now, there are two types of ectopic rhythm and you didn't really tell us which type of this condition does your friend's son have.

He could have premature atrial contraction, it is an early heartbeat that originates in the heart’s upper chambers and is harmless, or he could have premature ventricular contraction, it is when the irregularity comes from the lower chambers of the heart.

It’s rare, but sometimes a person with ectopic rhythm will develop ventricular tachycardia and other arrhythmias.

Hey Eric,

It is possible for a person with an ectopic heart rhythm to develop ventricular tachycardia, but it is pretty rare.

Most of the time, the cause of ectopic heartbeat is unknown and requires no treatment. If he happens to feels chest pain and pressure, sustained rapid heart rate along with his ectopic rhythm, he should see his doctor quickly. 

The good thing about this is that in most cases, treatment isn’t necessary and often the symptoms will resolve on their own. However, if his symptoms worsen and become more severe, then his doctor will base his treatment on the underlying cause.

Hi everyone,

Like the people above me already told you, Eric, it is possible for a person with an ectopic rhythm to develop ventricular tachycardia, but it is rare so I don't think that you have anything to be worried about.

If he doesn't have any symptoms, if he isn't feeling any different or if he doesn't feel his heart beating differently, then you really have nothing to worry about. The condition that he has is known not to make any trouble to the person who has it and in some cases, it even goes undiagnosed and resolves by itself, thus the person will never know it even had it.

Hey Eric,

Just like they told you, the chances of him developing ventricular tachycardia are very small, and if you take into consideration that he actually has no noticeable symptoms of it, he is probably not going to develop it. Not just that, his ectopic rhythm is probably going to resolve itself like it happens with most people.

Tell your friend that she has no reason to be freaked out. Her son is probably going to get rid of his ectopic rhythm pretty fast and it will have absolutely no effect on his future life. I wish you all the best of luck.

Hello guys. Eric, I am really sorry to hear this. But what we can do about this? Nothing…We can just pray that everything is going to be fine. Look, most people experience ectopic rhythm on occasion. This can be generally harmless and resolves without any medical intervention, but everyone still needs to be careful. This is generally harmless like I told you, but if this continue your friend needs to seek a medical treatment. Doctors will need to investigate the cause to determine what is the underlying medical condition. The diagnose will determine the treatment. I really hope that everything is going to be ok.

Hello there guys. How are you?

Ectopic heartbeats are beats that have their origins in the ventricles of the heart rather than from the sinoatrial node. They are termed premature because they are triggered before the normal heartbeats occur. People who experience more than three consecutive ectopic beats in a row have this what we know as ventricular tachycardia. When is prolonged ventricular tachycardia can result in low blood flow. So it is possible that person with an ectopic rhythm develop ventricular tachycardia.

Of course, there are healthy risk that are associated with ectopic heartbeats. You should be aware of it always.

Hello everyone. I am not going to tell you what other members already told you – but it is possible that person with an ectopic rhythm develop ventricular tachycardia. It can happen very often. I believe that it can happen to people who have normal and regular heart beats, so I don’t see why this shouldn’t happen to those with an ectopic rhythm. The most important thing that someone can do in this case – don’t leave it untreated. Your friend needs to consult his doctor and he will help him to find the best solution and the best therapy for him. Good luck.