my 6 year old boy has started coming out in red spots with small white heads not all of them have white heads he has them behind his ear and face and neck at the momment he has not had chicken pox yet could it be chicken pox he also a cold and feels sick.

Sounds like he has measles. The tiny white spots are called Koplik's spots. Chicken pox infection consists of fluid-filled blisters that break open and crust over, in addition to the skin rash.

Hope your boy is better now and I have to agree with hoseclamps, these blisters definitely do sound more like measles than chicken pox, but cold and fever are common for both of these conditions so the best thing to do in this situation is - obviously - to take him to the doctor as soon as you can and leave out the guessing. That way he will get treated sooner and the sooner he will recover. Are the bumps itchy? Usually the first sign of chickenpox is itchy red rash, that comes with fever. And I'm sure you know this yourself now, the only thing you can do is get him to the doctor and try to prevent any of these symptoms from getting worse. If it turned out to be chickenpox, hope you managed to keep him from scratching the rash too much - I still have few scars from when I had them when I was a kid :/