SOmetimes if I sneeze really hard, I have this really strong foul odor that I can smell. My wife has also smelled this and has to leave the room because it is so bad. It kind of smells musty. I don't have a sinus infection but I do have allergies and usually alot of drainage down my throat which keeps me constantly clearing my throat. Is there anything I can do to clear this up?

I have the same problem. No sinus infection but constant post nasal drip and acid reflux. ENT has no clue.

I don't get a foul smell but I can smell beeswax after a big sneeze. It's weird!

i have same exact problem and was wondering what it was.....read another blog that spoke about fungi and even certain bacteria. chlamydia was mention with another type of bacteria where the treatment for it would be a high dose of antibiotics for 12-18 months. not a good scenario. anyway the blog was not associating these problems with a bad smell. I was just speculating on a cause. This is the only places on my search so far that anything concise on the foul oder sneezing. ARE THERE ANY ANSWERS OUT THERE

Yup - same here - I have catarrh / gunk going down my throat and have done since I was a kid. My sneezes often smell really bad and I get really bad acid reflux. Doctor never seems very interested... Suggested I buy myself Gaviscon to save the NHS money... Thanks a lot Doc..!! Anyone got any ideas..?? Would love to get this sorted as its been a problem all my life - 40 yrs or so...

I had my tonsils out in January and for a couple months now when I sneeze, it smells so bad. It is starting to freak me out. Is there bacteria in my lungs that I need to worry about. I just took a Microbiology class a few months ago and it almost smells like some of the things that grew on the dish.

I had a tonsillectomy in January of this year and a couple months ago started experiencing the foul smelling sneeze. I sneezed in the car and my son was telling me how bad it smelled and I was surprised that he could smell it. Today I sneezed in the kitchen and my husband and daughter witnessed this and were really grossed out. I took a microbiology class recently and I want to say that it smells sort of like some of the stuff that grew on the petri dishes. Don't know if it is related to some growth of bacteria in th lungs or what this weird thing is. Let me know if anybody knows.

I am "happy" to hear that others have this problem........I thought that I was the only person in the whole world with this.......I asked my doctor several times but allways the same answer - nothing wrong.

I seeked the internet and found no information - until now :-)

It smells like a rape field or very old cheese....and I can smell it my self but peoples around me can also smell it - after a few minutes the smell is totally gone.

Please let me know if there is some kind of treatment or solution to cure this crazy symptom.

looking forward to hear from you other.

/Peter

Apparently my aunt when she was younger was known to occasionally enter a room say "it smells like someone sneezed", which was considered eccentric. But I have noticed at times that there is a smell after I sneeze. I wouldn't call it unpleasant--it is actually the smell of leaves when you are raking--but I hope that people aren't regularly smelling this every time I sneeze! I have been reading a lot today on the internet about smells associated with sneezes. When I read about people smelling something unpleasant, I am not sure if this is the same smell. One woman wrote that it was disgusting because it was like nutmeg, which I guess is kind to similar to what I smell. If this is what you are experiencing, I don't think it is any health problem, because it is so common.

Here is a cure for SSS:

Buy a dixie cup (so that your nose can fit in it), fill it with water then saturate it with table salt. Then snort the water 3 times into your nose so that the water goes into your sinuses, and have it drain back into your throat (similar to post-nasal drip). After you do this, blow your nose, you may find some colorful (red or green) material coming out which is not mucoid necessarily. Do this 2x daily for 2 weeks.

Let me know if this is enough to cure it for you. . .

I have smelled this same smell after sneezing since I was a kid. I thought only I could smell it until my boyfriend mentioned it. After about 6 months dating, HE now has stinky sneezes too!!! I think it's some sort of fungal infection personally. My boyfriend is on antifungal meds though for other reasons and it hasn't prevented/cured his stinky sneezes so I am not really sure. I can't imagine this is a good thing. Sinus washes probably wouldn't hurt though.

Hello all posters,

I used to have this problem but haven't for many years. I suspect it may be some sort of reaction to dairy or wheat, kind of smelled like bad cheese. I avoid both these in my diet and no longer have stinky sneezes. I also used to have hard mucoid lumps come up occasionally but that has been long gone also. Hope this helps.

My husband has this problem, he says that it smells like piss. I have smelled it once and boy does it ever have a stench to it. Sometimes when he blows his nose he will get these green ball about the size of pencil lead and if he breaks it open it stinks to high heaven and the other day one came out about the size of a pea, has this ever happened to anyone?

i think thats food that gets stuck in you tonsils, does it smell like rotten teeth

the doctors are lying to you! the reason why you have smelly sneezes is because when they were doing the surgery on your throats (whether its for taking out your tonsils or whatever) they didn't clean their instruments properly and it infected your sinuses and lungs!! thats why they seem disinterested when you tell them, they dont want you to sue them when you find out!

I just thought of this now. BUT think about it, almost all of you have mentioned your doctor said "it was nothing", more than one of you mentioned you had your tonsils removed, and its the only common thing between each of you. i say you go to a neutral doctor and have it checked out!