I have been smelling CAR EXHAUST FUMES that aren't there. Sometimes they are faint, sometimes they are so strong it burns my nose and feels like my eyes are about to water and I am smothering. This has been going on for a couple months now...HELP! It is driving me nuts. %-) I have RA, FMS, Nueropathy, etc. I take a list of drugs but the only one that has changed is they have taken me off Efexor XR and put me on Cymbalta. Don't know if any of this matters but I need help with this so there are the facts. HELP PLEASE!!! !

Well,

I am not sure if this is the problem that is caused by many reasons but I know that this can be caused if you get exposed to chemicals that can harm your health. Have you been exposed to these kind of chemicals? How long have you been feeling this issue? In some cases this condition can be permanent but in many it is just temporary thing that goes away on its own after several days. But you have to be patient with this because you can damage your health seriously if you continue to expose yourself to the chemicals if this is the main cause of your problem. I hope that this helped  a bit.

Good luck,

Karel

I have it too. It turns out that a vitamin B deficiency can cause it. Try taking B complex vitamins and eating better. I don't eat a lot of fruit or veggies. Even if you do, things like taking antacids can lower the bodies ability to absorb nutrients from your food... I read that anyway.... I'm no doctor or anything. But I'm trying Super B Complex and it seems to be having an effect. It got worse at first but seems to be getting better now. I hope it goes away and stays away because I am so sick of that nasty smell. I feel like I'm suffocating on car fumes.

I just started smelling it really strong yesterday and am still smelling it this morning. I also am feeling very sick with stomach issues and back pain

This was happening to me too and I read somewhere it could be lack of vitamin. I started taking iron and B12 (5000mcg sublingual) and within 2 days, smell was gone. I find it now if I don't take my B12 consistently, smell wants to come back, I immediately take my iron and B12, and it goes away again. Doesn't hurt to try it.

Honestly, I thought I was the only person struggling with something so odd!  I have been going through the same issue for several months.  It is very disturbing and frustrating because Ifind the smell to be so strong that I feel like I am stuck in a garage.  I do not take any medications however I do take a mulitvitamin, vitamin d and vitamin cq10.  Nearly a year ago I started working for a company that manufactures chemicals and even though I am in the office the fumes bother me.  I discussed with my employer and they set me up at home and I go into the office one day a week.  I am concerned this is the issue as I have been going through this for about eight months.  

I'm about to go to the doctor (a nuetrologist) with the same symptoms. I also take effexor. I was told by my psychologist that It may be a sign of epilepsy.

Wow...I have not thought of that and have not had seisures but epilepsy runs rampid in my family maybe I should see a neurologist also. Please let me know what you learn...and good luck with nantucket blessings!

**many blessings ( sorry auto correct)

I am going through the same thing. It's horrible. I started about 3 weeks ago. A wweek prior to that, I saw a neurologist because I can't smell or taste. He has put me on B100 and magnesium. I was wondering if one of these started this smell of exhaust. It's disgusting, and sometimes so over bearing, that it puts me in tears!

I smell car fumes a lot, could be anywhere, sometimes it takes my breath away, driving me nuts, I quit smoking 6 months ago, my husband is blaming it on that

Hello,  I am also smelling exhaust and menthol.  It's strating to burn my throat.  I had radiation in this area and am wondering if that has anything to do with the smell. If I'm outside, it's not that bad but as soon as I go anywhere inside, it starts to choke me.  I just got home from Florida and thougth maybe I  picked something up there so I went to my doc and he said I have a viral infection.  A week later, I'm back in the doctors office and this time he says it's a sinus infection.  Ummm,  menthol keeps your nose open and since I am smelling that, I'm not congested. I have had flushing hot flashes that lead into cold clammy sweats.  Help me before they admit me to that floor I don't want to go on.

When my exhaust 'fumes' started about 2-1/2 years ago, I had also just quit smoking, my father passed away, and I was under a lot of stress at work. The fumes were so bad, I would get headaches, they would burn my throat, and would cause nausea as if they were real! I tried having a cig to see if that was it - it wasn't, I could still smell the fumes AS I was smoking. I went to the ER who said with my stress level, now is not the time to quit smoking (which I then started again). It didn't help. I then contacted a neurologist, had an MRI, was prescibed Lorazpram and Propranolol and they subsided somewhat. I also went to a ENT. The only thing they found were some dot-like spots in my MRI, but with it being the first MRI, there was no baseline so I was told not to worry. I was told to keep taking the pills, going to the neurologist regularly, and see what happens. The fumes did subside to a few times a week for just a minute or so per occurance, but they are now back full force, about 85% of my waking hours for the past 5 days. I'm going to call to have another MRI scheduled. This thread is the first I'm hearing about the Vitamin B, so I will try that as well. But I suggest anyone with this problem see an ENT and/or neurologist incase it is something that they can actually treat. I quit smoking a year ago - had fumes with smoking and without - but at least I'm a little healthier not smoking.  NOTE: I never smelled the menthol that ITSME posted about. I have noticed that if I am busy, I sometimes don't notice them. I think (with my imagined medical degree) that it is either stress induced or something neurological that they haven't be able to diagnose with me yet. I don't believe it's an ENT issue. But what do I know...I smell fumes

This is wierd i started the same thing 4 days ago!! Are the vitamins still working? I am finding this smell unbearable to the point where my stomach feels up set along with a migraine. This has never happened to me before and I don't take meds.

I just returned from another visit at my neurologist. He now has me on Depakote (seizure med) which I have never had seizures which I know of. However, in looking up the med, it covers more than just seizures. He says it takes about a week to get into your system and it's called olfactory phantosmia, and yep, it is hallucinatory. They're trying to get me in for another MRI before year end. P.S. The Vitamin B has not seemed to be helping :(