i HAVE READ MOST OF THE COMPLAINS. iT SEEMS THAT WE ALL OF US HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM. I HAD MY SURGERY, (4 INCISIONS W/ THE USE OF SCOPES & INSTRUMENTS) LAST FEB 2007, UNTIL NOW I STILL HAVE PAIN AND OFTEN HAVE EITHER CONSTIPATION AND DIARRHEA.
I WENT BACK TO MY SURGEON TO COMPLAIN BUT HE SUSPECTED THAT I MIGHT HAVE STONES IN MY BILE DUCT & ORDERED ULTRASOUND AND BLOOD TESTS AND GOT NEGATIVE RESULTS. HE REFERRED ME BACK TO MY GASTRO, ONLY TO BE TOLD THAT THE PAIN IS STILL DUE TO FIBROMYALGIA, AND PRESCRIBED MUSCLE RELAXANT.
I STILL HAVE THE PAIN EVEN WITH THE MEDICATIONS. IT SEEMS THAT THIS IS THE CONSEQUENCE OF THE GALL BLADDER REMOVAL. I WILL CONTINUE TO RESEARCH ON THIS ISSUE, MAY BE WE WILL FIND AN ANSWER TO OUR PROBLEMS.

I had my gallbladder out in June 2007, and had no pain for awhile, but now, have like cramp pain down my right side, and sometimes it goes under right breast...
The pain down side is always there, even if I take very strong painkillers, it doesn't dull he pain..have been told quite a lot of people experience this pain, and DR are at a lost of the cause.
Have to be careful eating cheese, and cream, which goes right thru me, and gives me diaharea, ( normally constipated ! )
but can eat fried chips and fish, without any problem... XD :-D

My mouth dropped open when I read your post here.

I had my gallbladder removed in November 2007 with keyhole surgery and here we are a year later and I STILL get pain on the right side where the gallbladder 'was'.

I also get pain along the bottom of the right rib cage. Wearing a bra drives me mad.

I too have had a liver scan and blood tests done - all came back as 'normal'.

My GP told me that 40% of patients experience this 'problem' following gallbladder removal and that it would 'go away' in time. I asked her how long and she said it varies from person to person but usually a few months. I said "do you promise?" She replied "yes". As I said earlier - it's now been a year and I still have it.

What is even more interesting here is that back in March 2008 I was seen by a Rheumatologist who diagnosed I have Fibromyalgia. I have other pain i.e. osteo-arthritis in my hips, lower back pain and also between and in my shoulder blades due to scoliosis and narrowing or two vertebrae. BUT - the overall diagnosis is fibromyalgia.

I have been doing a considerable amount of reading but until now - I haven't read IN PRINT that post operative surgical procedures can lead to Fibromyalgia i.e. the original surgery site will have 'healed' but the nerve signals to the brain continue to interpret 'pain' being felt.

I too have been tried with various pain relief medication but have found that the side effects i.e. nausea, dizziness, palpitations, stomach upsets, far outweigh the relief from pain and it's one thing to have pain but pain AND feeling ill as well is more than I'm prepared to live with 24/7.

What I'd like to know is WILL THE PAIN EVER GO AWAY ???

Wow. Same thing here!! Turns out I had scar tissue on my ribs which was initially causing the pain. The gall bladder scan showed slight shadows, but they took it out. I shouldn't have let them. I wasn't having attacks at all, but they attributed the pain in the area to the gall bladder before figuring out the issue with the ribs. Now, in addition to the pain from the scar tissue on the ribs, there's pain under my breast, up my back on the right, and even feels like it radiates to the hip, and feels like an ovarian cyst. At times it's colicky - like bad indigestion. At other times it feels muscular. HELP!! I don't even want to go to the doctor. I feel like a hypochondriac! It's good to see this is somewhat common- been worried I had a tumor up under there or something.

I too have the same thing. The pain under both sides of my ribs started about six weeks after surgery. It sometimes radiates to my back muscles, especially on the left side if I've been standing too long or sitting in the wrong position. I recently had a colonoscopy/endoscopy, which revealed a possible allergy to wheat gluten. I have been on a wheat-free diet for about three weeks, and it hasn't helped at all. My blood work and liver enzymes were all normal. I don't know what is causing the pain, and it really worries me. I never had stones, just a low ejection fraction, so they took my GB out. The surgeon said that it was inflamed and was surrounded by scar tissue. Could I now have fibromyalgia? I've also noticed that since surgery, my rib cage has expanded by about an inch (bra size is larger). Has anyone else noticed this?

Ok, me too. Unbelievable in that they can not figure this out. As for the fibermyalsia- I have done alot of research on allergies and they attribute this to Gluten sensitivity or celiac's. I have the type 1 diabetes, only two years, Allergies and yes along with all of you I have had my gallbladder removed will be 3 years in Aug. I was tested in fall for rhemtoid and they are retesting me again and given the diagnosis beginning of Feb Fibermyalisa- which I let the physical therapist know- after 10 days off during holidays and sleeping 10 hours a day- I had no complaints- I saw doctor and she said it was this? He examined me and agreed you have to have 23 pain points on your body. I have changed the diet to gluten free and pain is intermittent. Although I am still working on going 100% gluten free and have not worked through everything in my cupboards, I am still getting a little gluten here and there. I also had a hysterectomy 12 years ago- appears my issues started then. I also feel at some times like Hypochondriac and I am ashamed that at my age I have so many issues. They are looking to add occupational asthma- due to issues I am having breathing at work. Help!!!

I have had the pain under my right ribe cage for years and was given Previcd which made the pain go again but then they took Previcd off market. I started back having the pain so they took my gallbladder out which there was nothing wrong with. The doctor put me on Reglan which did the trick the only thing now is the side effects of my hands shaking. So I had to stop the Reglan and go to a compound med which is not working. Now I am back where I started from with the pain.

I am amazed and encouraged that so many people have the same symptoms I do! I had my gall bladder out with the full slit down the front in 1989 and more and more the pain the area increases - just like the time the 22 pea-sized stones were there! I also now have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and take Meloxicam all the time. I had ultrasound with a negative result earlier in the year. I have a mainly good diet and swim regularly but I have trouble bending forward on the right side (does anyone else?). I have a lot of excess weight to lose and it is difficult when normal movement is slow but I am not giving up hope. Keep the answers coming - someone out there has the answer!

I had my gallbladder in Sept of 08, never sick before, after the surgery I started getting this pain in the lower area of my ride side, my ribs, if I have to sneeeze LORD HAVE MERCY, how painful. after reading all of these I guess I am just going to have to find a way to live with it, or get hooked on pain pills, this is rediculous! :'(

So wait, do you continually have pain even after you've had your gallbladder removed? That's unusual, did you ever check with the surgeon or doctor to seee what your options are? That's not normal! Let me know okay?

Has anyone looked into something called dysfunction of the Sphincter of Oddi? All these symptoms are typical of this condition and lo and behold ... it occurs after removal of your gall bladder! Evidently the test to see if you have this disease could cause pancreatitis so most gastro drs. will not do this test. It is done at the same time as the endoscopy. If there is evidence of the disease, the dr. can place small cuts in the sphincter of Oddi which usually remedies the condition. Ask your doctor if he is going to perform this test if you are scheduled for an edoscopy otherwise you will have to have it repeated to do it! Hope this helps! I too have been plagued with the intermittent diarrhea and then constipation and pain under the right rib cage after gall bladder removal 4 years ago.

Well people im here to tell you, a person can live along time like this and it aint no fun. i had my galbladder removed about ten years ago ive been in pain ever since. my doctor and gastro both told me i was full of it after,i asked for some pain meds cause i was not sleeping for days. that was six years ago. im at my wits end ive had evey type of test. small bowel follow thru, h.i.d.a. scan, 3 ct scans with iodine, x rays, blood test, stool samples, ohh my favorite the colonoscopy, endoscopy, over a million dollars in test. I just cant believe they dont know what is wrong when your in this much pain. Back to gastro this week im trying to do my own invetigating online came across this and thought id tell my story. good luck peeps.

I have had gastrointestinal pain on and off for ten years since I had my gallbladder removed. My episodes last up to 3 months. Any food bothers me and I have a constant pain now under my right rib. I have had every test imaginable. I have been to 4 different gastroenterologists. After a while I know they get disgusted with me, heaven knows I get disgusted with myself. I would love to say after all the meds they give me that I feel better but I don't. I certainly do not imagine the pain. I think even my friends think I'm nuts. I had breast cancer in 2004 and had 35 radiation treatments, I am now at the point that I'm worried about all the radiation with all these stomach tests. My tests show a lot of bile in my stomach, sliding hiatal hernia, acid reflux, diverticulitis, and slight erosions of the stomach. I take carafat and lybrax, don't know if they do any good or not. Kind of resigning myself to the fact I have to live with this. I am a 64 year old female. I have had endoscopy, colonoscopy, liver scan, ultrasound of liver, lab work, MRCP of bile ducts. All show normal. :-(

My name is Mary Ann Chandler. I'm 18 years old born in 1992 on Halloween. So I'm barely 18. At age 16 my gallbladder didn't work and was removed using the four wholes. For a good year while 17 the pain was gone and I could function again. The first time in my life I wasn't missing as much of school as I used to and was feeling great! Just as the good news couldn't get any better the pain came back during November soon after my 18th birthday. I went to the doctor describing the pain felt pretty much identical to my pain I suffered when having my gallbladder. He checked me over and told me I might have Galls Stones in the bile deduct or what ever it is called. I panicked a little but he reassured me it was fine and sent me to another doctor that dealt with gallstones to be checked. I got lab tests too! When I met with the doctor who was going to verify if I have gallstones or not he looked to my lab results a bit disturbed. 'Mary' he says 'your liver tests are negative as well as everything else, you do not have gall stones.' sitting there puzzled and in sever pain in my right side under my rib that shot clear to my back I asked him what it could be. After a bit of talking he told me I might have an Ulcer. I am going in tomorrow 1/7/2011 to get scoped to be tested for it. The pain is unbearable and I'm so confused what to do and scared. I try to look all over the net of why I have these pains or what to do or who to talk to. I find little info, and no one my age to compare to. I just wanted to let you know. This is helpful reading your post and other people's replies. I feel not alone or exiled to this pain. I now know that others suffer from it to. It is not a pretty thing to be suffering from. I hope we all find the right cause of all this pain and get it solved ASAP!

bluedog wrote:

Guest wrote:

I had my gallbladder in Sept of 08, never sick before, after the surgery I started getting this pain in the lower area of my ride side, my ribs, if I have to sneeeze LORD HAVE MERCY, how painful. after reading all of these I guess I am just going to have to find a way to live with it, or get hooked on pain pills, this is rediculous! :cry:

Dear god I get those pains too when I sneeze! It's horrible! I'm going in the doctor tomorrow 1/7/2011 to get scoped and tested for ulcers to see if that is the cause. You should email me both of ya if ya want to talk or get updated on ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **
Please read our Terms of Use