Just hoping there is someone out there who can help me,
I'm a slim 44 yr old Female, (A typical in retrospect candidate for this Disease)
I just had my Gallbladder removed on 16th August.

In Feb it was ultra sound scanned and was full of stones, On removal there were hardly any there!! but it was Withered!!,
Now its the 27th and i had a full on Attack today after eating a burger (not too fatty) my Mum made and COFFEE Which i think may do something to trigger my problem.
Anyway today it was so painfull i called an ambulance i was sweating(big time!!) rivers and pain in sternum was excruciating and constant for about 10 mins (the longest ever) I threw up everything id ate........
And in true Gallbladder style it was gone by the time the Ambulance got there,I felt fine a bit shaky but otherwise ok and didnt fancy hours in A&E.
So was ok to go home
I also have been in extreme pain in my Shoulder Head Neck and right side since i woke up from operation,
I spoke to Doc about this and Phrenic nerve has had big mentions,
I am going back to Doc obviously asap but just wondered if anyone has advice on this subject..

Thanks for reading
Carina

Carina-

I have the same problem, and I'm sorry to say it's been happening for several years. 4 months ago I had an attack so severe that I passed out, fell and broke my jaw. I'm a 57 year old healthy male and my 2 sisters 53 and 59 have very similar situation. I'm now getting more agressive on finding a solution. Several years ago I had an ERCP which helped some but my problems came back. But one important thing I'd like to tell you to try - as soon as you feel an attack coming on quickly drink a glass of milk (12 oz or so) it almost always works to ward off an attack if you do it soon enough. Please respond and let me know what's happening with your situation.

Regards,
Hugh

Hi Guys, Please get your doctors to check your bile ducts, my mum has the same problem and it is stones growing in the bile duct that is causing this, it's terrible and very common after gall bladder removal operations. It sucks big time.

Hi, this is my first post and i'm finding several people with my same problem. I had my gallbladder removed in January of this year and have had ongoing right pain under my ribcage. Not excrusiating, but very annoying. Then yesterday, i had an attack that was more severe than the attack i had before the surgery. It lasted only about 10 minutes, but was terrible. Anyone know what causes these episodes? Will i continue to have them?

I can relate to your pain; I have the same symptoms. I had my gallbladder out in November 2006, and I continue to have a dull pain between my ribcage. This week I had an attack which lasted about 15-20 minutes. It was the worst one ever...I was taken by an abulance since I was in a movie theatre with severe chest pains (I kept thinking this can't be a gallbladder attack because I don't have one anymore) and shortness of breath. I almost passed out. After blood work, it showed that my liver enzymes were abnormal possibly indicating a problem in my bile duct. The emergency physician stated that I may have passed a stone in the duct or have stones in there. A couple days later, I went to my primary physician and she took more blood to check my liver again. If my enzymes are high she is recommending an ultrasound to check out my ducts, liver, and other organs surrounding them. I suggest you get some blood taken. I am also planning to make an appointment to see my surgeon again.

Have any of you ever heard of sphincter of oddi, theres a suppost site if any one is interested after looking it up. I got my GB two years ago and have problems ever sence and this is what they are thinking it is. Feel free to email me with any questions, do a google search for the symptoms. ***

Hey guys,
I have the exact same symptoms as these... I had my gb out 5 years ago when I was 19. I have attacks now as bad if not worse than before the surgery. The only thing that remotely helps is getting my husband to rub the sides of my back or putting pressure on certain spots in my back. Try this next time, hope it helps.

I have had the same problems, a year and half after gall bladder removal, still in severe pain with no answers. I have also found milk to be helpful just recently though...weird. I had an MRCP today, not hopeful, but the pain persists and is at a 10 or above on their little hospital smiley faces.

Jessnd wrote:

Hey guys,
Hi:
I have the exact same symptoms as these... I had my gb out 5 years ago when I was 19. I have attacks now as bad if not worse than before the surgery. The only thing that remotely helps is getting my husband to rub the sides of my back or putting pressure on certain spots in my back. Try this next time, hope it helps. I hope that helps.

Hi all. I had my GB out a week ago today. 4 days after the surgery, I woke up with severe center chest pain in the mid of the night. It lasted about 15 minutes and subsided. I had another episode about 4 hrs later. Felt better after that. Since I was still constipated from the surgery, I decided to lunch on whole grain spaghetti in Ragu traditional sauce. 30 minutes after eating, the worst episode began. It lasted about an hour, by which time I was in the ER. They ran an EKG and did blood work and a chest/abdominal X-Ray. All normal, though the x-ray showed a lot of fecal matter present. They admitted me for observ and I had more attacks at 4pm, 5pm, and 10pm. They finally subsided and I haven't had one since. During my stay, they did 3 EKG's and 3 sets of bloodwork (spaced 8 hrs apart). All were perfectly normal. The conclusion was that the acid in the tomato sauce had caused the attack (I had eaten Spaghettios too the night before they began).

Do those of you experiencing similar attacks notice any link to acidic foods? I was also confused because the doc said now that my GB was gone there was nothing there to process the acid. My understanding previous was that bile still makes its way into the digestive tract and, since my GB was only operating at 23% before the surgery, little work was being done by it pre-surgery. So, I was thinking the absence of the GB would not make much difference to me.

My husband was in a serious accident a year ago. Two months later while recouperating he had an attack which we thought was a heart attack. Turned out to be the gallbladder. It was removed but the pain has come back several times, says like a railroad spike being driven to the chest behind the sternum. He's had to have about 5 procedures done since the accident where he has been put out and each time when he's in recovery this pain hits him. The pain has also come about when we've been out for the evening. They have done a scope of the stomach, an angiogram, and a CT scan of the chest, all were normal. He takes protonix daily and was given first Levsin Sublingual tablets to take at the time of the attack but after that stopped working was given nitroglycerin tablets. So far those have helped and eased the pain within 15-30 minutes. The doctor has pretty much said since we know it's not the heart and he won't die, we deal with it.

I know this thread is relatively old but I just had to post.

I had my gall bladder out in 2003. Unlike many, I did not have gall stones but rather my gall bladder was not functioning properly. I would eat and it would expand with all the bile but wouldn't release the bile until about a couple of hours after when it would leak out slowly. It was functioning at 30% and was found with a HIDA Scan.

Now it is years later and I am in so much pain. Over a month ago I started to have the same pains that everyone else is describing here. It was so bad one day that I was rushed to the ER and they gave me 3 doses of Morphine and 1 dose of some other pain killer before the pain stopped (and I am only 145lbs and 5'5" tall). They sent me home once the pain was under control (still peeved that they refused to look into the cause of the problem before releasing me). So, I went to my GI that removed my gall bladder and he did a liver function test. Needless to say, my enzymes are quite abnormal but the dual-contrast CT Scan showed nothing.

Tomorrow I go in for an endoscopy but I am sure he is not going to find anything because it is not my stomach but my right side - I would swear it was my gall bladder if I had one!

So I live in pain every day and wait for an answer. Which leads me to my question - has anyone ever figured out what the cause is specifically and what we can do to put an end to this pain?

Thanks!

I had my GB out on 12/28 (6 months to the day that I started having problems), yesterday I began feeling nauseous, severe pain in my right side radiating across my chest just below my breast line. I tried the normal things, I ate some bread, drank some milk. Of course my Blood Pressure went balistic because I was in the midst of a panic attack. I have always used heat to help decrease the pain which believe it or not does work. So, I used the heat and it subsided. I woke up this morning with indigestion, which I attributed to not eating at all yesterday. Drank some milk, ate some bread and went back to sleep, immediately upon waking it started all over again, the pain is not as bad as yesterday but I've become very frustrated. After reading this site I'm wondering if my Dr will have any ideas. I feel pretty lucky that she is fairly young and seems to be up on the most recent information. Anyone else out there find any answers/solutions.

**edited by moderator**

I had my gallbladder removed 4 weeks ago and 2 days ago suffered the worst pain that I had ever experienced, this included pain in my chest and under my rib cage followed my vomiting. This started 30min after taking cold and flu medicine and lasted 4 hours. I have since been told that this is because of codeine in the medication. Did anyone get told not to take codeine?

I got my gall bladder removed on July 3rd. Last night I had what felt like a gall stone attack except a lot worse. I also had pain radiating into the upper left quadrant of my back (which hadn't ever happened to me in a gall stone attack), I felt sweaty and clammy and couldn't take deep breaths because it hurt too much. It was definitely a 10 on the pain scale. I was afraid I was having a heart attack at one point.

I took ibuprofen right at the start of it, and 35 minutes later the pain subsided. (Before I had my gall bladder removed, ibuprofen would always at least minimize the pain if not make it go away completely.) I don't know if the drugs caused the pain to stop or if it just stopped. This morning I called my surgeon and while waiting for him to return my call I did some research online. I ran across a post on a message board in which someone recommended looking up 'Sphincter of Oddi' on a search engine.
Which I did.
And people, if you are having symptoms similar to what I described above, I recommend you look this up, too. I'd never heard of it, but now it sounds to me like what I had last night was SOD.

I have an appointment scheduled with my surgeon and I am going to print up some of the pages I've found online (the ones that seem calm, non-hysterical and medical based) and take them in with me. It looks like a lot of people get brushed off by their doctors as having some sort of catch-all problem like fibromyalgia or IBS because SOD is uncommon and hard to diagnose.

Hang in there, do some research, and then consult with your doctors. In this day and age you really have to be your own medical advocate if you want to get the right diagnosis and the right treatment.