Hello! I am Ben and I am fifteen. I had problems with bronchitis when I was a little child. Each time I got flu I used to end up in bed with bronchitis. My health has significantly improved since my age of ten and I don’t have any problems with bronchitis now. The problem is I want to join the military school and I heard that the tests of physical condition are really serious. Last time my lung volume was measured it was rather low and I am afraid this could be a problem. I need to do something to increase my lung volume. Could breathing rate increase lung volume?

Hello! Lung volumes refer to physical differences in volume and there are several factors that affect lung volumes. Some of them can be controlled and some that can not. Lung volumes are lower in people who live in low altitude or if they are shorter. It is also lower in females, heavy smokers and not-athletes. The average human lungs hold about six liters of air but only some amount of this capacity is used during normal breathing. Breathing rate is the number of breaths a person takes per minute and I don’t think it can increase lung volume. I think you should not worry since lung volume is not the main condition for entering the military school.