I am a smoker. I was trying to quit but wasn’t very successful. At the same time I want to start swimming more seriously. Everybody is telling me that I should quit smoking before that. They say that I wouldn’t be able to reach my full potential while smoking. I can’t believe that there isn’t any smoker among you swimmers. Do you smoke swimmers?

I don’t think so. Swimming and smoking don’t go hand in hand. Smoking reduces your blood circulation, constricts your blood vessels, obstruct your lungs’ capacity, reduces the oxygen delivery…I think you’ll get the picture. Even after you quit smoking you can’t expect any significant results for some time. It takes quite some time for your body to get rid of the toxic waste accumulated over the years. You should quit smoking as soon as possible for a number of reasons. Then you should pay attention to your diet to help your body to eliminate all that waste. And when you start swimming go slowly at first.