Hello! I have never had any problems with my eyesight. I started to weight lifting four years ago and had no problems with my health till then. I have regular check up every six months. Last time my doctor sent me to ophthalmologist since he suspected glaucoma. The tests I did have showed increased eye pressure and my doctor arranged the following check up in two months. He told me to stop weight lifting. Is he maybe overreacting?

Hello! Your doctor is right. It is proved that weightlifting is associated with a temporary increase of eye pressure. Intraocular pressure is raised if you hold your breath during reps so holding of air during lifting is actually the main problem. Increased pressure in the eyes increases the risk of glaucoma. You can try with jogging, cycling or swimming since it is found those activities help in decreasing of intraocular pressure. You have to avoid heavy weightlifting.