Hi all. I’m 14 years old and wanted to know if weight lifting will stunt my growth? I would really like to start weightlifting but my mom forbid dens me due to posiible stunt growth... Is she right???

Yes, your mom is correct - it is possible that weight lifting in your age can stunt your growth. Researchers have shown there is a link between weight lifting and stunted growth - lifting heavy weights can speed up the closing of growth plates before they had a chance to fully develop and therefore stopping the growth process. As you are getting older and you body “normally” starts slowing down your growing, the weightlifting will have less and less effect on it. Anyway, it is always a good idea to check with your doctor before starting any type of weight training or exercise program. Also, once you have started, be sure to take one step at the time – start with low weight and then slowly increase it. Good luck.

It can indeed stunt your growth and without super vision can even lead to life long injuries; however, there are other things you can do so when the time comes for you to be able to lift weight you will be ready. Such as push ups, jump rope, running, and pull ups. They will tone your muscle and make your body further prepared for when you are ready to lift weights much is usually around 16-17. Not to mention it will help you stay health. Always make sure you have a spotter though. it's not something that shows your childish. Even professional NFL players won't lift without someone spotting them, because of how you can get injured. best of luck!