My mom is 77 yrs. old and the hospital says she has dementia but they don't know why she constantly hallucienates. She gets pretty worked up and scared. Is dementia life threatening and why does she hallucienates when the other patients don't seem too?

Hi Guest,

Dementia refers to symptoms.  It is not by itself a disease.

It's very common or the patient to have problems with visual perception or reasoning.  They can be easily confused and not remember things or look at something and think it is something else.

By "hospital" do you mean a long term care facility, a "nursing home" or similar?  

Without knowing why she is in the hospital I'd suggest you have your mother thoroughly evaluated, to rule out any physical issues.  Discuss her medications, it may be a side effect.  Don't hesistate to get a second opinion is anything is questionable.

I'm not accusing the facility of this but it IS VERY COMMON for an eldery patient to be OVER medicated especially in a nursing home setting.

By itself you don't die from dementia.  But, it often is caused by many neurological factors that can contribute to death.

She went to the hospital for hallucienations and when she gets them she can't walk and gets mean at times. She has diabetes too. She is taking meds for that and insulin. Thank you for replying.