Hi, my mother has been diagnosed with multi-infract dementia. I have not noticed any serious mental degeneration, but the doctor says that dementia is a progressive disease and that the signs will get worse as the time passes. I was wondering about dementia progression process. How long can a person with dementia stay in touch with the real world?

Hi, dementia is a process of mental deterioration. This process is very individual and differs from patient to patient, but one thing is certain: the progression of the condition cannot be stopped. There are three stages of dementia progression. First stage is the early dementia. During this period the signs are very mild and can pass undetected. A person in the early dementia has the tendency to forget the details of recent events. Often this person has trouble with finding the right words. Dealing with the money can become a problem. All this situations make the person very nervous and agitated. In the second stage, or moderate dementia, the symptoms become more obvious. A person at this stage becomes disoriented and confused about time and place. The problems with remembering names of family members and friends occur. Personal hygiene and eating are neglected. During the third stage of dementia a person needs total care. The patient has no recollection of family members, needs help with eating, dressing and washing. In the last weeks and months the patient is immobilized and spends all the time in bed.

I care for my mother at home. In the last 3 weeks mobilization has become more difficult. This week she does not want to get out of bed.
With a lot of help and talk can usually get her out of bed to chair. she does still recognize some family members. Are we in the last stages?
Typically how long does the last stage last?