Hi. I am 58 years old. I was diagnosed with cervical spinal stenosis. I was prescribed with meds and I am on the physical therapy. What can I expect if meds doesn`t work? Will I have to go on a surgery?

Hi. I had stenosis both in my lumbar region and in the cervical spine. Doctors usually consider a surgical treatment of spinal stenosis after several months of non-surgical treatment. I had a surgery. At first, I was prescribed with NSAIDs, to reduce swelling and pain. Meds, corticosteroid injections and physical therapy do not treat the cause of spinal stenosis, but they are here to temporarily relieve the pain. Severe cases require surgery. What can you expect after the surgery? Well, if your nerves are really damaged, you may feel pain. There may be no improvement. The degenerative process is also very likely to continue.