Hello.

I have a dog and he has had some problems lately. He is an older dog but he has always been more cheerful than other dogs of his age. He loves to run, to play games, but in the last couple of weeks he seems a bit down. He doesn’t seem to enjoy our walks and he ignores me when I tell him to pick up the ball I threw.

I took him to the vet but since we didn’t have a scheduled appointment, he told me that the dog has back pain and that I should schedule an appointment. I’m planning to do that next week, but till then, can you tell me what are the most common causes of back pain?

Hello. There are several causes of back pain in dogs. But some of them are very common. I believe that the most common cause is intervertebral disc disease in dogs. It is a condition where the cushioning discs between the vertebrae of the spinal column burst into spinal cord space. Well, these discs then press on the nerves running and they are running through the spinal cord which can cause pain, damage of the nerve and sometimes paralysis. Older dogs usually have bigger chance for back pain. It is treatable but you need to visit the vet immediately. Good luck. 

Hey everyone. Well one of the causes of back pain in dogs are degenerative disk disease. In dogs, spinal cord is one of the most important, but usually very sensitive organ in the body. It can happen than it is traumatized and some cells will not regenerate. Injuries usually result in the permanent damage. Spinal cord is protected in very special fashion – it goes through a bony canal with the spine where it is surrounded by protective bone. Remember that this disk is like a rubber. They can allowed the back to move up and down. I think that degeneration of these disks is one of the most common cause of back pain.

Hey everyone.

My dog is having problem with ruptured disc. I believe that this is very easy to diagnosed, because the vet will suspect a herniated sick based on a dog’s physical exam, the history of the disease and some signs that dog will show up if he is in pain.

To be honest, I didn’t notice those symptoms very soon and my dog was in constant pain. I can see that he is still in pain sometimes, but he is feeling much better after therapy that vet prescribed to him. This is not the only cause unfortunately.

But it can be treatable! 

Good day there folks. I have dog, he is 6 years old and he had back pain. I could see this. I took him to the vet and he was diagnosed with vertebral disk disorder. The most common vertebral disorder in dogs is degeneration of the disk between the vertebrae of the spine. Well, this is usually known as intervertebral disk disease, and infection of the disk can also happen in this case. Well, some dogs are also prone to instability of portions of the spine. I believe that this is one of the most common causes. Treatment is required.

Hey everybody,

There is a big number of causes of back pain in dogs, and all of them include a problem with the dog's disk.

There are a few infections and illnesses that affect the spine and spinal muscles. Your dog might have had an injury when he hurt his spine, he might be suffering from cancer or he might have a slipped disk.

Back pain can be easy to treat or very difficult, depending on the underlying cause of the pain.

What you need to do when your dog has back pain is to minimize his movements. You shouldn't allow him any exercise without a vet's permission. 

Hey everybody,

Mia, before anything else, you need to understand that back pain is a symptom of a medical condition and not a disease itself.

The most common causes of back pain are mechanical problems. A mechanical problem is due to the way the spine moves or the way you feel when you move your spine in certain ways. The most common problem is probably an intervertebral disc degeneration.

An injury can be a cause of back pain, as well as infections and tumors. Infections can cause pain when they involve the vertebrae, a condition called osteomyelitis.

Tumors are the rarest cause of back pain, although they are not so dangerous.

Hey everyone,

I think that slipped disk is the most common cause I've heard of. I know that it is not scary at all unless you notice it late, then it gets a little bit scary,your dog might have to have a surgery. 

In case you've noticed it on time, then you need to put your dog in a cage and keep him there for about two weeks. That should be enough time for his slipped disk to come back to its place. 

Along with his rest, the vet will prescribe some painkillers to give to your dog while he is resting.