I was climbing over a baby gate in my house when my foot got tangled and I fell over the gate and my sternum landed on the corner of a chair. Unfortunately, it is a fancy chair, where the leg of the chair sticks up a couple of inches above the seat. This is what I struck with my sternum. Full force, with legs still up on the gate and no hands down to break my fall. I know it probably looked really funny. I felt paralized with pain. I did not get the wind knocked out of me, it just hurt too much to breathe, or move. I rolled my body off of the chair and onto the floor, where I laid for several minutes before I was able to get up and sit on the couch. I couldn't barely breathe. I couldn't hardley move. I felt like I was going to pass out. I had a horrible burning sensation in the area, the same kind I've felt every time I've broken a bone.

OK fast forward a month. I have a lump on my sternum which is understandable, but I have had a sharp pain in my upper right chest for two weeks now. It hurts to take a deep breath, it hurts to cough, but it also hurts to lay down, lean back, or carry anything, even remotely heavy, such as a gallon of milk.

My problem is that I left my job, started a new one, and was not eligible for benefits until Jan 30th. So throughout this ordeal, I have not yet seen a doctor. My new insurance states that I will not be covered for anything that I have been treated for 60 days prior to the inception of this policy, and I will have to wait one year for it to be covered. Problem is I hate my new job, have found a new one, but again, would have to wait for benefits to kick in, and could not see a doctor until then, because of the pre-existing condition clause. What should I do???

I am really dissappointed that no one replied to my post. I know you probably recieve many emails, and I tried to be patient but it's been almost a week now. Oh well, guess I'll look for another site........

:cry: Hello! I just visited this site, and I am really disappointed as well. I am also experiencing the same type of symptoms, I was in a domestic situation almost 2 years ago, where I was shoved, and I fell back, flat on my back, and kicked in the lft. rib area, through the thoracic 3,4,5,6, area, at first I experienced lft. rib area pain, with the sensation of popping and grinding, which I assumed was a fractured rib? I am in the medical field, so I was quite embarrassed to address this situation with my colleague's, I have had numerous medical tests, physical therapy, cortisone injections, an epidural, and numerous amounts of different pain remedy's, nothing seems to help, until recently I was injected with cortisone in actual disc area, which on the MRI only showed a mild herniation? Mild my ass!!! After 3 days the pain as gotten better in the spine area, which before this treatment I could feel every vibration, etc, which intensified my pain, especially driving or riding in a car. Now I have burning in my sternal area, intense pain, and a feeling of being chocked, and severe pressure, right up in the middle of my chest, these symptoms have always been there, but are getting worse consistently, I think I may have a tear or a possible rupture in the aortic area, spleen??? I also had my gallbladder removed, which the results were horrifying on the inflammation of the gallbladder? What the hell, can not anyone give us some up-front advice? this is ridiculous!!

Im sternum was broken in last August i got a call today telling there was a problem and i needed to get a hold of my surgery cuz something isn't healing right and i been getting ct scans every other month so i don't understand why they couldn't see it sooner i was never was wired now they want.to open me be up to do it any items???