Lately I have had severe pain in my sternum area. The onset is almost exactly 2 hours after eating a normal meal and it lasts for about 3 hours, sometimes more. During this time it is always constant although of varying intensity. It seems to radiate toward my back on the same side. I saw a MD who suspected gallstones. He thought that I had gallbladder attack. He hasn’t found anything.

Actually symptoms of a gallbladder attack mimic a heart attack. The pain below the sternum area with radiation around to the back describes common symptoms of gallstones. I suggest that you go back to see your doctor again. Have you been eaten greasy food? Eat fewer fatty meals and stay away from cabbage, onions, broccoli and similar vegetables.

Hi I jst had my gallbladder out on 16th august and on 27th after eating mum made burger (not too fatty) and a coffee which i think sparked the worst ever attack!! so now im really worried in case one got stuck, I have also had the worst reffered pain ever since it too, I am going back to doc in morning...

I have similar problems.

Is the pain only when eating or when leaning forwards too?

Try stretching your body ...for example: I hang from bellow my spiral starcase.

Does this ease the pain.?

Try laying on your stomach and arching your back.

Does this ease the pain?

If the answer is yes, you probably have a back injury.

I never felt a thing in my back initially

Do you fell any lumps near or on your spine?

Mine is at T 5/6 and T12 left at the rib joint. Leaning and twisting initially caused a pulling, crushing hollow pain below my sternum(left) followed by a 'wet' cramping pain about 2-3'' below my right ribs-propagating to my back. This eventually led to a 'burst bag' of wet pain below my right rib. A bacon roll made my stomach feel like i had drank a pint of grease. This is gal bladder dysfunction caused by muscle spasm affecting nerves...the nerves control the organs and an irritated nerve means an irritated organ.

The initial aggravation causes a muscle spasm to propagate at the area of irritation , the more you aggravate it the larger it gets. The spasm impinges additional nerves and causes the 'different' pain to the opposite side soon after. If you stretch and rest the problem area, the spasm reduces and so the pain below the sternum reduces-folloed by the pain below your right rib.

If you do suspect a spasm then I would seek physio therapy and chiropractics as soon as possible.

I received no help with my injury until it was too late, leading to a muscle spasm running the full lenght of my left spine. This was powerful enough to pull and crush me from the inside at times. I suffered disc bulges and pains to my groin and feet. It then pulls on my neck, causing excruciating pains through the left side of my face.

Traction, chiro' and physio' if you do suspect it.

Hope this helps.

Keith

I have the same pain for years I was told a lazy gallbladder...I drink water as soon the pain comes and it goes instantly...if it comes back I repeat..it works for me.

Hello, I recently had my gallbladder removed. Prior to the surgery I had an ultrasound that showed no problems. It wasn't until the hyda scan that they found a 3.5% fraction rate. Never the less I had it removed in Sept 09.
To get to the point I have had many attacks, angina, reflux esophoghitis, and an unusual pain that my or may not be connected to the gallbladder. My somach below the sternum is swollen and hard, very uncomfortable. I have had attacks before and after my surgery that last only about 20 minutes, but that are so severe I feel like Im dying. The pain is below the sternum which then penetrates the back and goes up into my neck as if I'm being choked.
I have a cardiologist and a gastro Dr. I have had endoscopys, Cat scans or stomach and just recently this week a biopsy of my stomach as stomach cancer runs in my fathers side. I truly blieve it is my stomach or pancreas. Is their a more definitive test that can help this situation com to a conclusion? :'(

To the best of my mind there isn't, but you do have to talk to the doctor about it and let them know your full histoory. That does help a lot. Can you keep us postedo n how you're doing?

Have you had MRCP or esp. ERCP tests to show what is going on? Ask your dr. about these tests.

Have you asked your doc about gastritis? That’s what it sounds like.