Hi, folks. I have been dealing with some strong pain in my AC joint. At first I didn’t know what to think. After some tests, I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis in this joint. I was surprised, I admit. I would really appreciate if someone could tell me something more about this. Thanks.

Hello to you too. For those who don’t know, AC joint stands for acromioclavicular joint. This joint binds three bones: the clavicle (collarbone), the humerus (upper arm bone) and the scapula (shoulder blade). AC osteoarthritis is a common disorder. We use our shoulder all the time, so don’t be surprised with this localization of your osteoarthritis. Pain and tenderness are early symptoms. You should discuss with the rheumatologist about the strong pain you’ve been experiencing. I hope you’ll manage. Good luck with all! Bye!

Hi to you too. Pain is common for AC joint osteoarthritis. Usually, this pain is vague. It can spread to the shoulder, the front of the chest and even neck. The affected joint can snap when it moves. You haven’t mentioned if you have injured this joint before. This is very common for people with osteoarthritis on this localization. You can sometimes even feel the bump here. I hope I’ve helped a little. Good luck!

Hi! I too suffer from this affliction - I believe it's also called "weightlifter's shoulder." I do lift weights. I had AC joint surgery on my right side, which worked beautifully. Now my left side is bothering me. Typically, I can get a shot of cortisone, which helps considerably and keeps you from surgery as long as your pain isn't too unmanageable. I also take Naprosyn 2x a day when the pain is bothering me, and ice when I start thinking, "this is it!" I do recommend the surgery if your pain gets to be too bad - I was off work 3 weeks (desk job) and in some pretty good pain for the first week -- but after that, the recovery was pretty fast. Good luck to you.