I'm really hoping someone can help me.  About a month ago, I noticed a significant lump on top of my right shoulder.  I don't remember injuring my arm or shoulder, although my job does require me to do lots of heavy lifting and/or repetitive movement so its possible that I might have pulled, tore or otherwise injured it unknowingly.

I also don't know if this area between my shoulder and my neck is part of my trapezium muscle or possibly the Scalene muscles in my neck.   Its situated about an inch above my right clavicle bone so I don't know whether to consider it a shoulder mass or a neck mass.

At any rate, one morning I noticed a significant lump that hadn't been there the day before. Its approx. 2 inches in radius and sort of round/oval in shape.  It feels semi solid and a little rubbery but I can't tell if its fluid or muscle or fatty tissue that's built up on top of my muscle.   It doesn't hurt and it hasn't grown, but it hasn't gone down or went away either.  However, my right shoulder and arm get achy real quick with even minimal strain now.

It also seems to become aggravated when my boyfriend massages my back between my spine and right shoulder blade. There is a knot in my trap muscle and when he pushes on it or rubs it, this lump on my shoulder seems to tense or tighten up for a period of time. I went to my family doctor who said it was a strained muscle and sent me on my way with muscle relaxers (which did absolutely nothing to help).

I don't know whether I should go back to him, get another opinion, see a chiropractor or a massage therapist. All I do know is that its really scary and it looks weird and I don't want to die from cancer or something equally as messed up.   I CAN'T... my family needs me, but I'm a single mom with NO health insurance and not enough money to go to a bunch of costly unnecessary doctors office visits.   I've been researching this in depth and I'm hoping it might be a lipoma but I'm not sure.

Does anyone have any idea what this could possibly be caused by or how to make it go away. Any suggestions or clues would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

i have tht exact same thing...and sometimes it sounds clicky and feels squishy,,(does yours do that?),i went to my doctor ,,he told me to do yoga.....ok....right,,,its like he dont even care ..been to emergency room couple times...they gave me vicoden or tramadol...didnt help. ..tried muscle relaxers...those made me feel drunk...didnt like that at all....and didnt relax my muscles...actually it made me more tense because of the way they made me feel that i got a panic attack.....i have been dealing with this for several years,,,when its damp out or going to rain,,it acts up and really hurts....when i push on it i get relief...but then 20 mins later it hurts agaain....i am so tired of dealing with it....but insurance issues' keep' me dealing with it....the only thing that i have found to work is called  salon pas patches...like 5 dollars for 40 patches at any drug store.....and also i have one of them things you put in the microwve to heat up and put in around my neck...but that dont last long either...but it does help....then i ocassionlly have a good day with no lump and pain at all...but that is far and few between....ok ..i just wanted  to share my lumpy life ..and to tell you to try the salon pas patches.....i hope that we can one day get some relief.....Angie

Ok its been 2 1/2 months and this lump is still there. It see.ms to fluctuate in size and tightness, depending on how much strain I put on it. It doesn't really hurt but its definately annoying and ugly. I've been researching it as much as possible but can't get a definite diagnoses. It could be a LIPOMA, it could be THORATIC OUTLET SYNDROME, it could be LYMPHODEMIA, it could be FROZEN SHOULDER SYNDROME, it could be a lot of things..... but unfortunately without insurance or adequate funds, I can't afford to find out for sure.

Have you found out anything about the lump on your shoulder? I woke up the other day with what felt like a tight neck and when I went to rub it out a bit, I noticed the exact lump.. Any news?

Have you found out anything about the lump on your shoulder? I woke up the other day with what felt like a tight neck and when I went to rub it out a bit, I noticed the exact lump...Any news?

no nothing more, but for the past few days my shoulder, arm and neck have been very sore and any amount of strain makes my shoulder just throb with pain. Also, I have this little knot in the trap muscle in my back (between my right shoulder blade and spine) and when pressure is applied to it, the stupid lump on my shoulder tenses up!!
I feel like a total freak!! ;)

Without insurance, I guess I'll have to keep wondering and hoping its nothing serious but it just seems to feel like its muscle related or some kind of fluid thats built up on top of the muscle.

Has yours gone away or do you possibly remember doing anything that may be related to the swelling? excersise, an injury, a massage? anything?

I find it so interesting that at when I read this, I felt you that it was me writing it.
You described everything I have and even to the single mother and no health insurance.
I wish I could find out what it is. I got it around late summer time .. but I was summing a lot at the time.
I have not for a while not. but it is starting to hurt a lot now.. and it is hard for me to sleep well.

I've had the exact same lump for a year now and the doctors haven't told me a thing. Everything you described is what I'm dealing with. It just literally popped up and idk where it came from. It came 5 mins into my day randomly one afternoon. The doctor did an ultrasound and noticed nothing there and now they have me doing a CT Scan on the 24th to look deeper. I'm debating getting it taken off because I really hate looking at it. I was just trying to wait and see if it'll leave on its on. But it anyone finds out what it is exactly before I do, please keep me informed and I'll do the same

My husband has this same lump.  It appeared a few months ago and he's had a CT scan with no diagnosis.  The doctor was like, "I don't know what that could be"  Thanks, really helpful.  She referred him to a surgeon for a consultation to have it removed.  In the past couple of weeks he said he can "hear blood flowing in it"  If that makes sense.  Do you guys hear or feel blood flowing through it?

His is the size of a softball.  He's a muscular guy and works out lifting heavy weights, it seems to really come out after a work out.

I came across this as I was looking for other information.  I too have the knot on my right shoulder.  I had gone to the chiropractor for a sore arm.  While working on my back, he mentioned the lump (which I had not noticed previously.  He stated it was a toxic build up in my skin (which is our largest organ) and that breaking it up would take working on it over a period of several visits (because of the pain associated with working it out).  I can gladly say that after my third visit, the lump in not as noticeable.  My back doesn't look at "bruised" (toxins coming to the surface) and I'm starting to notice some improvements in others areas.  He's also become aware of some other issues that I have.  They are not new to me, but I had not mentioned them.

I' m not a run to the chiropractor type of person, but I can honestly say that he's done some good for me.  All of this without medicine.  It might be worth talking to a reputable Chiropractor.  The one I go to here in the Tampa Bay area was recommended to me by a family member.  We have had several different family members who have used him over the past 15 years for everything from football injuries to back pain.  It's worth looking into.

I've been dealing with this for well over ten years. I noticed a lump about the size of an almond deep in the cusp of my neck/shoulder. It has grown steady for going on 12 years now. I have had MRI's, CT Scans, X-Rays, Ultra sounds you name it. It has literally put me in the poor house. They just can't see it. The Doctor can now feel it as well but they have no idea what it is. They say they can't operate on something they can't see. It has cause lots of pain an now I have noticed a lump starting on the other shoulder. But I guess living with pain is better than not living!

youd be suprised at how much yoga makes your heart pump. try it. dont judge it.

I recently had a lump appear on my left shoulder/neck area. It is about th size of a golf ball and extremely painful whether I touch it or not. My orthopedic surgeon thinks it might be a cluster of blood vessels after doing a ct scan, Mri, and x-rays. I go tomorrow for an mri with contrast to find out for sure. I can keep you updated if this sounds like what you're going through. Mine is painful though and pain medication only takes a small edge off of the pain I have.

Go to a message therapist, I worried all the time about my back and neck pain where I have a lump near my spine to left of my right shoulder. They seem ti know more about these issues than any doctor I have found. My therapist did a deep tissue message and never touch the area where my knot is and it was 100% better in a few days after I went. I really hope things ger better for you. Therapist is certainly worth a try......Penny

I have dealt with knots and lumps and scares since I was in the 8th grade when my parents noticed I was not even at shoulder level, one was shorter than the other. I have gone to Chiropractors, medical Doctors and even surgeons and here is my best advise. Go to a message therapist, I worried all the time about my back and neck pain where I have a lump near my spine to left of my right shoulder and it was full of fluid. My message Therapist seem to know more about these issues than any doctor I have found. My therapist did a deep tissue message and never touch the area where my knot is and it was 100% better in a few days after I went. He made me feel better about what the issue was and maybe they could help you too. I really hope things get better for you. Therapist is certainly worth a try......Penny