Hello! I have been feeling some pain in my left shoulder for a week or so which gave me trouble sleeping and performing my daily activities. I thought that I probably hit my shoulder somewhere and forgot about it, but if that was the case the pain would already wear off and it did not. I am starting to think that this might be the condition called painful shoulder. My friend had similar problems a year ago and the doctor diagnosed him with that condition. What are all the syndromes of the painful shoulder? Is maybe that my problem?

Whether that is your problem or not no one can tell you based just on the facts that you presented here. So, you should best visit your doctor. Painful shoulder syndrome or subdeltoid bursitis is one of the most common problems seen by primary-care physicians and orthopedic surgeons so it might as well be what causes your problems too. It is almost as frequent as low-back pain. Syndromes are exactly those which you prescribed painful, swollen shoulder and difficulty in doing normal things including sleeping.

I totally agree that you must see the doctor! Painful shoulder syndrome might not be dangerous but nothing should be treated without the professional diagnosis. I suggest that you rest the arm a bit, put some cold patches, and take some ibruphen for a week. If the pain persists visit your doctor. If the pain wears off it probably was just a bump.