Hello! I have been feeling pain in my left shoulder for some time now. I am 54 and I didn’t pay much attention to it since I thought that such things come with age. Yet it got worse recently and I had to go to the doctor. He did some tests and diagnosed me with osteoarthritis of the AC joint. I was in a bit of a shock. He told me to rest and take some ibruphen, but is there something more I can do since I still feel the pain?

Hello! I am also diagnosed with osteoarthritis of the AC joint and I know how you feel I had very strong pain attacks before I had my operation. But don’t worry you certainly still don’t need the operation since it is done only when degeneration can’t be helped with physical exercise and medications. If you still feel the pain maybe the ibruphen doze is too low. You can ask your doctor to increase it. If that doesn’t help either, you can ask for the injection of cortisone into your joint. I am sure that your doctor will suggest it too if he sees that ibruphen is not helping.

Hi! I am 54 also and I also recently found out that I suffer from osteoarthritis of the acromioclavicular joint. I am sure that if your doctor hasn’t recommended surgery you don’t need one yet. As pain eases from the medicaments he will start you on a program ofrange-of-motion, followed by a program of strengthening. At the beginning you will do the exercises with the arm kept below shoulder level. The goal is to get your shoulder moving easily and to learn how to control your symptoms. If everything goes as it did for me, you will probably progress to a home program within four to six weeks. So don’t think about the operation just yet. I feel much better after the exercise program and so might you.