Hi. I am 42 years old and two days ago my stomach started to ache. The pain is sharp and I am afraid that maybe my kidneys are the problem. Maybe it is nothing, really, but I think this stomach pain of mine is really persistent. What could it be?

Hi. It could be almost anything. You have many organs in your stomach, and pain in the abdomen can originate from organs related to digestion, the aorta, the appendix, or, the kidneys. Also, pain can come from your chest, or pelvic region. If it`s persistent, it doesn’t mean that your condition is serious. Some mild conditions can give you a severe stomach pain, and some scary conditions, such as colon cancer, can give you a mild pain. Anyway, some possible causes are excessive gas, stomach flu, ulcers, food poisoning, kidney stones, urinary tract or parasite infections…