I got a sudden sharp pain in the lower right section of my back yesterday and it rendered me almost completely unable to move. Since then I have been in chronic pain. Sometimes worse than others. I can't twist to the left or right. It's tolerable if I stay as straight as possible. Sometimes it feels as though there is a spasm which takes my breath away.

I would appreciate any advice you can give me.

I don’t know why do you think that you might have fractured rib, because this sounds to me like kidney stones. Have you had any trauma or some sort of injury in that area? Kidney stones can be really problematic and limit your movement in great deal. Do you have any problem when you urinate? Have you noticed color changes in urine?  The pain will gradually get worse and you will need to see a doctor and see what is wrong with your kidneys. In my opinion if you have stones they might even be blocking your tract. You could use some over the counter pain killers to ease the pain but this wont solve the problem.

You should always have any pain that seems to originate from the back or kidneys or somewhere else in the body, without an obvious cause, checked out by a professional. It sounds like a possible kidney infection or kidney stones to me as well. In any case, treatment for back and kidney pain can only be accessed after you obtain the right diagnosis, and that, my friend, requires a doctor. Go there already. Renal problems can get very serious very quickly, and this is NOT one of those "I think I'll sit it out at home" things. Honestly. Get seen.