Hi, I have been experiencing a strange pain in my lower back. The first thing that came to my mind, because of my job conditions, was that the cause of my pain is my spine. I took some pain killers but they did not help. A friend of mine suggested that I might be having some kind of kidney problem. She experienced the same pain when she had a kidney infection. Could the pain I have been feeling in my back be a pain in my kidneys?

Hi, there can be many causes for the pain in the lower back. One of the options is kidney problems. It is true that kidney infections are manifested through back pain, but there are also some other kidney conditions that have pain as one of the symptoms. However, all of these illnesses are followed with some other signs as well. For instance kidney infections follow the infections of other urinary organs. It means that in order to have a kidney infection you would have to have a bladder infection and this condition causes pain and burning sensation during urination. I am sure that you would not miss these symptoms because they are extremely unpleasant. The other possibility is kidney stones. My mother used to have them and the pain she was experiencing was so strong that the doctors had to give her the strongest narcotic pain killers to help her. However, there are also some other, not so common conditions that can cause pain in the kidneys. I think that you should see a doctor as soon as possible to determine the real cause of your pain and to start adequate treatment.