I have a question about stomach pains. One friend of mine used to complain of these symptoms few months ago. Now he is diagnosed with hernia, and he had surgery to solve this problem. This is not what confused me, until my neighbor started to complain about the same stomach pain. When I was sure it was hernia, his doctor diagnosed him with kidney stones. Is that possible, and are there so many conditions which symptoms are stomach pains?

Stomach pain in general is defined as a nonspecific symptom that may be associated with multitude of conditions. Some do not occur within the abdomen itself, but cause abdominal discomfort. As example I could give you stomach pain associated with strep throat. Off course that some conditions originate within the abdomen, but are not related to the gastrointestinal tract. Some other pains are related directly to the gastrointestinal tract. The severity of the pain does not always reflect the severity of the condition that might be possible cause of the stomach pains. Severe abdominal pain can be associated with mild conditions, such as stomach gas or the cramping of viral gastroenteritis. Otherwise, relatively mild or even no pain conditions may be present with severe and life-threatening conditions. Example of serious conditions with mild stomach pains are cancer of the colon or early appendicitis. That is true stomach pains have wide variety of diseases and disorders, which are sometimes hard to discover.