Halo,
I have a strange stomach pain after meals. It happens almost every time. I ma very worried, because I can't get to know if they're because of some specific food or there is a more serious health problem.

It's your gallbladder. That is almost always what happened to me before I had the attacks. You are lucky that you can sleep through them. When I was having the attacks and was shot up with narcotics in the hospital I still couldn't sleep because the pain was to intense. Any way let me try to explain it the best I can.

Your gallbladder has basically one function, to store bile that your liver makes until it needs it to help with digestion. When you have a gall stone (they can come from having to much fat in your diet or from other factors in your lifestyle or family history) whenever your gallbladder tries to give up the bile that is in it to the liver the stones move in to the tubes that connect the gallbladder and the liver. This can cause INTENSE pain that is really unbearable.That is why the pain happens after meals because the bile is trying to move to your liver and the stones get picked up and lodged in the duct work between the two organs.

Some foods do make the pain lessen after meals. Try fruits and veggies and other foods that are low in fat and cholesterol. Fats (usually) are the foods that your body uses the most bile to digest them so that means your gallbladder is working harder to do what it needs to do.

The reason that the pain is on your right side is because your gallbladder is about midway up your abdomen (depending on your height) and is on the right side of your body above the liver. It is common for Gallbladder attacks to occur most often at night because the biggest meal of the day is usually dinner and your body is hard at work digesting.

The best plan of action is surgery to have the gallbladder removed. It is usually done as an in and out surgery and has minimal recovery time. I had my surgery on a Tuesday and went back to work (half day) on that same Friday. I probably could have gone back Thursday but I just wanted a reason to use my leave. The recovery was so easy for me that all I needed was one dose of Advil and I didn't even fill the prescription the Doctor gave me for Vicodin.

So to sum it up--It's your gallbladder most likely and you need to go to your doctor and talk to them about what you need to do to get it diagnosed and to have surgery.

Good luck. It will get much better.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed***