Here's my history in a nut shell:
8 Cortizone injections, custom orthotics, accupuncture and herbs, then finally the dreaded Neuroma surgery. Does anyone else feel like they were led to believe this was a quick and easy to recover from surgery. I should have done more homework-like read the responses on this forum, but didn't. My Dr. went in through the top-thank goodness! It took a long time for me to even touch the foot to the floor-swelled up past ankle with lots of bruising. This past summer was OK, but still hurt. Now, 14 months later all of a sudden-lots of pain and piercing pain one day as I stepped-from under the 2nd and 3rd toes. Pain is also radiating into my arch. The pad of the foot is soooo tender and swollen. My 2nd toe is swollen and now rubs the top of the shoe. I am at my wits end. I cry all the time and can't figure out when this will ever heal---it's been 14 months. We are now trying a Medrol dose pack and will try alcohol injections if that doesn't work, then maybe a short cast to immobilize the foot and then I don't know what. What have you all tried that helped?????? The nerve pain is the worst thing ever!!!!!! I don't think I ever would have had the surgery if I'd have known that. The foot before was better than this. I am now disabled, I feel. Please.................someone tell me something good that will help. I'm really depressed!!!!!!

hadfinally the dreaded Neuroma surgery. Does thing ever!!!!!! I don't think I ever would have had the surgery if I'd have known that. The foot before was better than this. I am now disabled, I feel. Please.................someone tell me something good that will help. I'm really depressed!!!!!!

hadgggg

About 4 months ago, i had my THIRD neuroma surgery, with 3 different doctors. Kept thinking that the problem could be fixed. I am no better than i was before the surgery. I, too, have become depressed after realizing that i will have to live with this disabilty for the rest of my life. I am only 35 and i can't even stand or walk without serious pain. In fact, i even feel uncomfortable when i'm lying down. My pain is 24/7 and i think about it 24/7. I evaluate every step i take. This really sucks.

My bilateral neuroma surgery was over a year ago. My feet are numb...they burn....they occasional tingle. My feet only feel remotely comfortable in Birks....all shoes feel tight and hurt. I am so disabled. This pain feels like peripheral neuropathy. A couple neurologists didn't buy the neuroma diagnosis and I took the quick fix with the surgery. I didn't want to believe it was a neurological disorder...a disorder that can't be fixed. Well.....my feet hurt much worse now. I think about my feet all the time. My only relief is when I am sleeping.

I had surgery for Morton's Neuroma on my right foot (3/4th toes) in February. The surgeon said the op went well and that i'd be walking out of the hospital the very same day.
However, when i'd come round from the anasthetic I was in so much pain I could bearly move (they had also injected my ankle due to swelling). They kept me in overnight and in the morning I got up to go to the toilet. I couldn't put ANY weight on the foot at all, I don't know how he thought I was going to get up and walk out!
I was on crutches for a week and xsigned off work. Then back to work, still on crutches as the pain was too intense to put full pressure on my foot.
Eventually I was off the crutches but the wound was infected and therefore not healing properly.
Back into hospital for a 2nd operation. They re-opened the wound, cleared out the infection and then stitched it up from the top. (Initially it had disolvable stitches internally).
Well, that was a month ago and the wound is STILL weeping badly. The hole is tiny but oozing so much.
I have spent a FORTUNE on dressings and things to try and heal this damn thing. Nothing.
I have now been referred to another surgeon to see what he thinks.
I did all of this privately too - what a waste of money.
I really wish i'd not had this surgery done - the recovery period of a few weeks? HA! What a joke!
Constant Oozing
Constant Aching
Pain
Numbness
Big scar
Can only wear flat shoes
Ruined lots of shoes due to weepage...
:-(
NEVER EVER AGAIN %-)

I live in Scotland and had my neuroma surgery done privately rather than through our National Health as I would have had to wait over a year just to see the Consultant.
From seeing my GP (doctor) to the actual operation was a total of 5 weeks. I had neuroma on right foot between 2nd and 3rd foot. I was off work for 5 weeks due to the ball of my foot being so tender.
I'm now back at work and can only wear trainers as my foot swells up so badly. Also, I feel like I am walking on a bubble as the ball of my foot is constantly swollen. Does anyone know if this gets better?
Thanks
Carol

I too after several coritsone shots and orthotics thought surgery would be the end of all this constant discomfort. My neuroma is not Mortons but between the second and third toe. So have the surgey. .think all goes well.. Check up with MD when he takes out the staples and he says.. "It will feel funky for the next 6 months, there will be pain, numbness, burning etc etc etc.." I think.. if you would have told me this earlier I would have lived with what I had pain/discomfort wise other than what I have now. Surgery was in August, the funky feeling is supposed to last 6 months.. Its January.. just about six months and the pain is the worst ever. I can be sleeping in bed at night and be awakened by pain. Walking feels like as someone else described walking on Marbles. I am a nurse and need to be on my feet all day. If only he would have told me how bad they would feel afterwards compared to before..I too may not have had the surgery.

i am waiting for my 3rd operation on the same foot for a recurrent neuroma. i too am a nurse working on the community. my foot is much worse than before the first op and i am really fed up. it is on my mind constantly as it constantly hurts. had i known before my 1st op that it would be like this, i would NEVER have had it done. i couldnt wear high healed shoes before and now i can only wear flip flops, trainers or chunky flat boots. i feel i've got to have a 3rd op as the pain is getting worse each week. i'm hoping to get another opinion rather than have exactly the same op again!!!
:'(

Hello. I am a 25yr woman with 3 kids. 2 of my kids r 14 months apart and are ages 2 and 3. My oldest is 7. As you can see I am always on my feet. I had a neuroma b/t my 3rd and 4th toes. It was the worst thing ever. I have had 5 cortisone shots with the last one being the strongest on the market. The last one was still working when we decided to do the surgery. When the other shots had worn off my life was complete hell... and having me in so much unannounced cramping pain it was ridiculous. Hard to live my daily life with my kids! So I just had my surgery yesterday. In recovery my whole foot was numb... no pain... yet I asked the nurse if she should give me something for the pain for when and if the numbness wore off on my way home. She was not very compassionate and told me no that she had the surgery and that this surgery was the most NON PAINFUL one out there! WHAT A CROCK OF SH... so whatever... I came home and was fine at first then the numbness wore off! And let me tell you how horrible this pain is. I cant bear weight at all and the hospital didnt even send me home with crutches so I had to borrow crutches from my neighbor. I just hope that all heals well and everything is better. My Doctor tells me that I will heal fine if I follow his instructions and will be a lot better in the end... well hearing all of what you all have been saying well I dont know now.. Yall have got me scared.. cuz I am in so much tender pain now...even when I am laying in bed it hurts... I hope it all goes away...

Hi, I am 46 years old and had formed a neuroma right under the toe next to my big toe on my right foot. The neuroma was 3x's the average neuroma removed. I had surgery 8 weeks ago. The doctor went in on the top of my foot between the 2nd and 3rd toe. He had to cut through the ligament and take out part of the nerve with the neuroma. The bottom of my foot is still heavy or stiff, probably a bit swollen. I've been on an anti inflamatory/ibprofen for the past two weeks. I was off pain killers within a few days after surgery and since then only took one occasionally at night to help me sleep. I had barely any swelling or bruising. Infact, unless you look closely at my foot you wouldn't even know I had surgery. My foot does feel somewhat stiff but I haven't had any zinger pain for probably 3 weeks. I realize my foot isn't going to be perfect after surgery. I am wearing Naot shoes (good arch support and cushioning or tennishoes with soft padding. I'm sorry to hear everyones horrible scenarios. The doctor that did my surgery has done 6,000 of these surgeries and I'm very happy with what he's done. I am probably developing some scar tissue so expect to have to work through that. I'm only writing this so that people realize this surgery can be successfull. I don't have any pain - sometimes my foot seems stiff if I've been walking too much. I had debilitating nerve pain before the surgery - was in a walking cast parts of the last 6 months, had 3 cortizone shots and barely left the house. I hope things get better for some of you.

I had a right foot neuroma between 3rd and 4th toes for years, then had an operation 3 years ago, to remove it. I am a community nurse. It took a very long time to heal and because it had been done under the foot now have a roll of sore scar tissue. Anyway, I had to have the surgery done a second time 2 years ago, and there was a pulling sensation in my foot and pain. According to the surgeon that saw me the second time, the neuroma had reoccured, but once my foot was opened up again, they said the nerve had stuck to the bone. They sorted this out and removed the scar tissue. Anyway, following that I have got the scar tissue again, and it is just as painful, with discomfort before. The surgeon put me on gabapentin, which although it stopped the pain, caused undesired side effects.

Now, I am able to walk well in walking boots, some distance, but I suffer afterwards, with nerve pain. Its allways there. I have terrible trouble finding shoes to wear. I wear trainers to work, but driving hurts as well. I also wear merrell sandles, but they are not very soft on the scar tissue. I have now paid privately to see a different surgeon, and am on a waiting list for another NHS operation! He thinks the neuroma has re-occured, and is going to 'tidy up' my foot. However I feel concerned and am taking another risk! Incidently, I have another neuroma on my left foot, which causes pain, but am very reluctant to have anything done to that in view of the problems I've had with the right one!!

I think the following informational sites are worth looking at.
***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

The NHS information page is:

good luck

I had the neuroma surgery, between 2nd/3rd toes on my left foot, just over a month ago, just starting be able to walk again and returning to work on reduced hours (as i work in retail so i'm on my feet on a hard floor all day). Also have the feeling that there is a marble or something under my foot when i walk. However I was just wondering, did any of you have post-operative physiotherapy? I have and really have only seen improvement in the pain and swelling since having the physiotherapy - also learning to walk normally and move my toes again! Normally i'm quite sceptical of physiotherapists and it can be very expensive but I would definitely say it has helped me alot!

Its the community nurse again. I am now 3 weeks post op following the 3rd neuroma op, this time performed from the dorsal (top of foot). The surgeon has removed another neuroma which was found entangled in scar tissue from the previous surgery on bottom of foot. This time, I have kept off my foot elevated nearly all the time following the surgery for 2 weeks, also I kept the dressing and bandage on until I had the sutures removed. There was little swelling, but bruising to 2nd, 3rd and 4th toes. At first I felt that it had gone well, as no pain. However, the foot feels like there are some electric shocks in various parts of top foot/toes if I flex the foot by accident! Also some tenderness under foot where scar tissue remains. Managing to get trainers on from 2 weeks, but not able to walk for long in them as yet as tender on top of foot. May put arch support under to lift it off, if I can find the right foot wear, which is challenging! The tingling seems have improved since this op and hoping nerve shocks will subside eventually. Foot feels a bit tight and burning at times, but as there is still some swelling I think this will improve. The recovery from this op is so long, nobody tells you it can take up to a year. As I have a neuroma on the other foot very reluctant to have any surgery, may go for neuroablation, which is where they freeze the nerve. There is a clinic in Sheffield.

Me again! Although the physiotherapy did really help with movement and walking on my foot, after a couple of months i seem to be back where i started with pain pretty much the same as it was before i even had the op. Anyway i've been back to the doctor and had an ultrasound on it and i now have a 'morton's bursitus' - which feels similar to a morton's neuroma but is an inflamed bag of fluid instead of a lump on the nerve. I've had an injection in it yesterday which hopefully should bring the inflammation down. It's been 3 months since my surgery and now I'm starting to feel like this is never going to go away! I know people only tend to post when they've had a bad experience but can't anyone say they've had a positive reaction to their surgery?!?

Also, does anyone else find that any doctor/nurse you speak to emphasises how "simple" and "minor" this surgery is, how quick recovery is, etc! One nurse even said to me just before my op that she had the surgery and was fine to walk normally a week after which i find very hard to believe.

I've had it said to me constantly but anyone who has actually had the surgery has told me of long and painful recovery with little or no improvement!