I am a 39 year old woman who has had two children. Since the last child, I have had a lot of stretch marks on my inner thighs, something that has puzzled me somewhat because I did not even gain that much weight during that pregnancy. More recently, however, a yellow colored discoloration has appeared in roughly the same area affected by stretch marks. It is very ugly and I feel dreadfully self-conscious about it. Not only do I have no idea how to get rid of it, I don't even know what could have caused it. 

My only thought is somehow bleaching the area. How, though? And what could be behind this discoloration on my thighs?

Hmmm...

Discoloration on your inner thighs can actually be caused by numerous different things. As a woman, my first thought would be "hormonal imbalance", related to your menstrual cycle, pregnancy, birth control use, or whatever else. It can also be the side effect of some medications. Do you take any for chronic health issues? Finally, sun exposure can be another reason for discoloration on the inner thighs.

Does any of this apply to you?

One thing I have heard before is that gaining weight leads to added estrogen storage within the fat cells, and that this is something that can lead to discoloration of the thighs. I am someone who tends to store extra fat around the legs and hips, so I have experienced this myself. 

You could try using a lactic acid peel on the area, either at home if you are comfortable doing that, or have it done at a salon. There are also lotions that contain lactic acid. These will definitely brighten your skin over time, though you will need some patience.

I am currently looking into Vicco Turmeric Vanishing Cream for hyperpigmentation on my face and a brighter facial skin tone in general, which I just posted a topic about now. I am still waiting for answers from other people about this cream of course, but then I saw your topic about discoloration on your thighs and it occurred to me that the Vicco cream might work for you as well.

You may want to check out the other topic for replies, and if the reviews are good perhaps you could consider it for your thighs too?

Well, if it is skin lightening that you are after I think there's few things that will do as good a job as hydroquinone for that. It is a very powerful melanin inhibitor that will almost certainly do what you are after. Though it is banned in some countries I have been reading about it and it seems like the risk of side effect is very much over estimated in some circles. I understand that discoloration of your thighs would make you feel bad about your body and hydroquinone is one option you shouldn't just not consider when you want to do something about it.

Well, there is a reason hydroquinone is not legal in some countries. It can cause severe dryness along with oozing and cracking skin and even scarring, and its safety isn't at all proven at this point. After having been a member of this SteadyHealth forum for what, six months now, I've been around the block a bit learning a lot about beauty topics I would not normally click on. Someone recommended Kojie San kojic acid soap a while back, also known as African Black Soap. It seemed like a lot of people had very positive skin lightening experiences with it, so I thought I should mention it.

I have discoloration of my inner thighs and armpits both, and when I went to see a dermatologist recently, what they recommended to me was the application of two products called Melarase AM and Melarase PM. I am not too convinced about their benefits yet and was looking for something like laser treatment ideally, so if anyone has experience with Melarase, please weigh in here. To the OP, it could be something to investigate, but not, as I understand, the be all and end all.

Celebrity

Have you looked into natural remedies for the hyperpigmentation that you are seeing on your inner thighs at all? If they can help, it could save you money and protect your skin. Things said to lighten the skin include, for instance, honey, yogurt (because of the lactic acid), raw potato juice, coconut oil mixed with lemon juice, turmeric and sandalwood mixtures, cucumber as well I think? These things are worth looking into. I have tried potato juice for general anti-inflammatory properties for dark circles around my eyes before and it did have an impact. You are talking about a much larger area here of course, but something you could look into. 

Rosie

I have heard that people bleach things like that with lemon juice. Maybe vinegar will do the trick as well I don't know. But I have heard Asian people often use creams to bleach their skin. Maybe you could look into getting some of those creams and they will help you as well? I haven't tried it myself and I guess I would either be wearing tights or leggings to hide it. My legs are covered in cellulite so I never go out bare legged because I don't find it visually appealing to look at it myself never mind anyone else!

I have them too and my theory is it's caused by the friction of my thighs rubbing together as I often wear skirts without tights. It looks awful and embarassing and I definitely want something done about it. I did try with lemon juice because it was an easy thing to try but to no avail. My thighs look exactly the way they did before the lemon juice and I've lost faith in home remedies. I'm quite interested in laser treatment if that will work. If anyone has reviews on that I'm all ears because I definitely don't want to go to the pool like this.

It is pretty difficult to discern the cause of discoloration of the skin of the thighs because so many different factors can be behind that. Anything from excessive sweating to hormonal imbalances to friction to creams and stuff can cause that. It's not medically a problem but it can be a source of embarrassment. If home remedies like lemon and aloe do not help you then what's the reason not to see your doctor about something that may cause issues with your intimate life or limit what you can wear? I'm sure you'd get a prescription cream that would solve the problem soon enough.

Oh my gosh! It sounds a little familiar! I had discoloration on one thigh once and I went to the doctor's and it turned out that I had Lyme's Disease. Lyme's Disease is named after the little town of Lyme in the US and at one stage lots of children turned up there with a mysterious illness. After investigation it turned out that they had been bitten by ticks. And some ticks can carry the Lyme's disease bacteria. Sometimes this can give you a bull's eye rash around the area where you have been bitten. Although I am very aware of this because of where I live, I don't really look at the back of my legs every single day. So I didn't see the bull's eye rash but I did see a forward creeping discoloration. I got a course of antibiotics for 21 days. If I were you I'd definitely have it checked out.

They say that inner thigh discoloration is pretty difficult to treat because the pigment in the skin is usually deeper as a result of genetics and skin color. The goal is to get rid of old pigment and stop the production of new pigment. A combination of Melarase AM, Melarase PM, Melapads, and an exfoliant is a good first step option before going to lasers.