This has been on ongoing problem for as long as i can remember...but lately it's gradually getting worse. I was wondering why my armpits are so dark. I'm African American, but very light skinned (like the celebrity Alica Keys), many people think i am mixed.

So this problem of this discoloration is very noticeable. It reminds me of like caked on dirt but its not dirt , because i wash and bathe daily and it is yet to get better. I've stopped using deodorant completely and wash up very frequently under my arms, but nothing seems to help. I do shave, but the hair doesn't grow back that fast so I'm unsure of how often i preform this. There are little bumps like razor burn, but this doesn't bother me, and is the least bit of my problem.

i was wondering if there was ANYTHING that could get my armpits back to the color its suppose to be??????...because soap and water just isn't working...

I have pictures if this would be of any help;
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/Baby_260/Picture20.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/Baby_260/Picture19.jpg

well im not too sure if it will get the color back to normal.. hopefully but you should try NOT shaving becuz that's what caused them to get that way and that color. I use to do that to .. shave and wonder why my arm pitts were getting dark.. you should try NAIR or some other type of method to getting rid of the hair on your armpitts instead of shaving them!! i nair.. and my armpitts dont look dark anymore.

and trip out that a guy told me this!!! LOL

i have the same problem.
and its really embarrassing i've tried so hard to get it off, but nothing works.

hi stumbled across this site. I have the same exact thing going on. Been so depressed about it. hearing that someone else understands helps so much. Im am light skinned as well with these dark armpits.it's very embarrassing I don't wear anything sleeveless ever.I am african american also had it for as long as I can remember as well I have used so many beaching creams nothing worked it is the same. Someone please help!! soap and water is not working at all by itself. What could I use to get the natural color back? I give up ..someone please help.

:( :(

I have the same exact thing going on. Been so depressed about it. hearing that someone else understands helps so much. I am light skinned as well with these dark armpits.it's very embarrassing I don't wear anything sleeveless ever.I am african american also had it for as long as I can remember as well I have used so many bleaching creams nothing worked it is the same. Someone please help!! soap and water is not working at all by itself. What could I use to get the natural color back?To fade this dark patch from under my armpits? its under both of them. I give up ..please help

:( :(

That is classic Acanthosis Nigricans cause by insulin resistance. The only thing that will make it go away is eating a diet low in sugar and carbs and getting lots of exercise so your body will use up the sugar in your blood. Here is a link that should help aocd.org/skin/dermatologic_diseases/acanthosis_nigrica.html

I am puerto rican male and have Discoloration, underarm and other intimate areas can be caused by aging, hormonal and or other changes in my body. I used and am using souhtbeach ligthing gel suitable for use in these sensitive intimate areas. and in one week I can see the dark skin in those areas go away. You should try it and you will see the change too. You can buy online. hope that it works for you like me. :-D

Okay i found this on a website... I have the same problem...
"The main cause for dark armpits and dark pubic area, especially when you are otherwise fair-skinned is use of a razor or hair-removing creams to get rid of unwanted hair in those regions. In order to reduce the discolouration, opt for waxing since that not only removes the hair from the roots removing the possibility of in-growth, but also exfoliates the dead skin. Discolouration could also happen due to irritation by the chemicals in deodorants. Use anti-fungal talcum powder instead of anti-perspirants and deodorants during summer. You could also use alum powder in your underarms or rub some baking soda after the shower to reduce the discolouration.

If the discolouration is intense, rub lemon slices on the affected areas since the natural bleaching agent in the lemon will help to lighten the areas. You can also apply a paste of 1 tsp of lemon juice, 1 tsp of cucumber juice and a pinch of turmeric powder to the affected areas. Another alternate is a paste prepared with 1 tbsp of curd, 1 tsp of gram flour, pinch of turmeric and 1 tsp of milk. Leave it for 20 minutes and wash it off with cold water once it is dry. A paste of sandalwood powder and rose water works equally well. Finally rub Vitamin E oil and coconut oil on the affected regions to keep them moist and reduce the chances of further discolouration. "
Im about to try it when i get home..... fingers crossed!

TWO WORDS: Lemon Juice.

I HAVE ONE OF THOSE OLDER GRANDMOTHERS WITH A MILLION HOME REMEDIES AND THE FIRST THING SHE SAID BEFORE I FINISHED ASKING WAS LEMON JUICE. I'VE TRIED IT FOR ABOUT A WEEK NOW AND I CAN SEE A CHANGE. I USED IT ON MY ELBOWS, BUT MY GRANDMOTHER SAID ITS SAFE TO USE ANY WHERE ON THE BODY. WELL MAYBE NOT THE PRIVATE AREAS. I'LL ASK HER LATER.
I HOPE THIS WORKS OR HELPS YOU OUT. I KNOW HOW EMBARRASSING DISCOLORATION CAN BE.
GOOD LUCK!

OH I USED SLICES OF ACTUAL LEMON. THE BOTTLE OF LEMON JUICE WOULD DO JUST FINE ALSO. BUT REAL LEMONS ARE MUCH CHEAPER. AND YOU'LL NEED A FEW.

can I squeeze lemon and store them in a bottle? would it lose its effectiveness?

Ive had underarm discolorations since I was 12 Im now 22. Ive tried everything, from Lemon juice to creams, nothing help. I found this website called DERMATOLOGIST they have a deodorant that helps with discoloration. The darkness is fading and Im so happy. The only downside, its a bit pricy about 30dollars..well worth it. All I can say is to give it a chance and be patient it usually takes months to see results, depending what degree of darkness you have. You wont regret it!!

I am a dark skinned black woman who has experienced the same probelm. I have shaved for many years and as I have gotten older I've noticed that my armpits have darkened over time. I really believe that it is mostly caused by shaving. It is very unattractive. So I decided to try waxing..because Nair can be irritating after a while...and underarm skin is a very sensitive area.

My first time waxing was scary....and I 'm not going to lie...it hurt and you will get used to it. But in the end...my armpits lightened up. Because it removes hair deeper than shaving can and also removes a layer of dead skin as well. I would also use a gentle exfoliant (St Ives Apricot scrub or whatever) to slough off dead skin in and around the armpit area...NO MORE than 1-2 times in a week. This is best done in the evening or at a time that you aren't going to apply deoderant for several hours. After exfoliation..I would also apply a thin layer of unscented Vaseline. ( I love Vaseline..it works wonders).

I have also tried using Ambi lightening cream underneath my armpits (in the evening mostly becuse it smells funny). But remember NOT to put this on with deoderant. As your armpits begin to lighten, you can decrease the exfoliation to on once a week or a few times a month. Be patient..the results will come. Remember it didn't take you overnight for your pits to become darkened so it won't take them overnight to lighten back up. And they may not even lighten up all the way. I have seen results within 3mos of waxing and doing my regimine. So if you are trying to prepare for summer..start in the winter months. ALso...I must admit that there are times when I can't get to the spa for a waxing...and I dare not go out with hairy pits...so if you are in a bind...I would recommend using Schick Intuition on your armpits.....and legs. This has been the best shaver I have ever bought. The rest are damaging pieces of trash. I know ...I've tried most.

Recently...I have relapsed back to shaving (with a regular razor...NOT Schick Intuition) because I couldn't afford the waxing due to financial difficulties..it was just NOT in my bidget. Well...believe it or not...I'm paying for my decision because the dark patches have began to return and my pits feel very irritated and itchy. SO I have decided that I will never again shave and I will make waxing apart of the budget. I have made an appointment for tomorrow..so my journey starts again. But I know that in the end it's worth it.

Remember...treat the skin under your arms like you would the skin on you face. Imagine what your face would look like after years of shaving it. Lol! Terrible...I know.

Yes, lemon juice works! The lemons work also but the pulp from the lemons are a pain in the but. They stick on to your skin and you have to keep trying to get them off. Hope it works for you!

Use "cetaphil" over the counter soap and nothing else... This is also prescribed by doctors. This is the only soap I use now days.