I had cervical surgery dissection and fusion of C4-C5 and was kept in the hospital for 24-hours. After being home for four days I felt really good and started to resume some household chores. Big Mistake!!! I've been paying for that all weekend and now, after reading some blogs, I find that I should have been taking it much slower. They really don't tell you what to expect when you get home. The surgery itself was a piece of cake. I had donated bone for the graph so only one incision to worry about which is a relief. My biggest problem is being able to be comfortable to sleep. I am comfortable sitting and standing and walking, but want to climb into bed and get some rest so badly. I've only been getting half-hour to 1 hour naps for the past week. The easy chair is where I'm pretty much camped out. There is also conflicting info about how long to wear the brace and how much freedom to take with it off for showers and shaving and such. I only hope that as things heal up that the pain lessens now that it is worth it. Reading about other peoples' trials and successes has been encouraging.

i had an MRI last Oct on my neck, right afterward my doc office switched me from the doc to the nurse practioner, and somehow my results got lost under something...i'm not upset about it, but finally i asked her about the results.  she was very upset i was walking around for several months with C4,5,6 in bad shape.  there is 1cm between the vertebrae cutting off my spinal cord.  she told me several things could happen and none of them are good.  i have seen a neurosurgeon, i had my daughter and my two grandsons 3yrs & 1yr with me so i couldn't focus well enough to ask the right questions, etc.  the doc seemed very biz as usual regarding my issue, again i'm not upset, but am shifting between denial and a lot of fear since the appt.  the NS ordered another MRI since the first is now six mos ago.  he said if the vertebrae have moved closer to cutting off my spinal cord we'll want to do the surgery sooner than later.  it hit me yesterday...why am i not wearing a neck brace?  i don't have a great understanding of distance, time, etc and i never quite got the metric system, but 1cm doesnt sound like a lot of room left between me and disaster.  doc says, 2 steel plates and 2 donor disc.  i'm sure this is hard to answer because everyone and every case is unique i'm sure, but how long will i be 'outa business' so to speak?  how long in the hosp after the surgery?  how long will i have to wear the brace?  and does anyone know if i'm really throwing the dice here walkin around normally, picking up my grandsons, and turning my head to say hello to someone....i'm confused.  in the same breath the medical folk say oh my God chicken little the sky is falling but we'll get a second opinion, and oh make another appt and i'll see you in a month or so....???????  my daughter is studying for her certification for EMT and the other nite at class one of the teachers was telling a story of a man on a bike, a car hit him, he's laying on the pavement conscious, appearing only slightly scathed, he turned his head to speak and 'snap' dropped dead.....damaged vertebrae cut off his spinal cord.  i live my life from a spiritual foundation and i believe everything is a message from God.....i can't help but feel fearful hearing my daughter re-tell this story.  any suggestions, info, personal knowledge and/or experience would be greatly appreciated.  thanks<3