I have been suffering recurrent chest infections with the last two-three years. I get approximatley 4 chest infections a each year. More recently at the beginning of December 2006 I had a very strong bowt of it and was eventually given Amoxycillin. The cough never completely went away but was reduced considerably. I have just come down with yet another chest infection and my doctor has again prescbribed me another course of Amoxycillin. I am exremley worried that there is some underlying problem that is causing me to be ill so often. My doctor seems to forget everything I ever say about this problem as he always says 'it's going around at the moment'. In the last 12 months I have been to see him atleast 6 times and not once has he suggested any tests. He is always very nice and I usually get seen very promptly but I'm sure he thinks I'm a hypacondreate.
My current chest infection seems to be slightly different to usual as I have a pain in the back of my neck and my lower back.
I myself know that there is something not right but not sure what to do!, how do you get a second opinion without offending your own GP?, Thanks in advance for any response

You should look at getting a chest x-ray to see if there is any underlying problem, and blood tests. It may be you have a compromised immune system or a particular problem with your lungs that other treatment or medication will resolve

I have a major chest infection at least one every couple months so much so that i am likely to lose my job! I constantly have to take time off work its so embarasing i feel like an old man but 31. Combined with permanently being blocked up (if its not one nostril its the other) i also have asthma so even the smallest of colds can effect me alot never mind the constant chest infections.

Im always prescribed amoxiclin and steriods, they work after about 5days but sure enough give or take a month later im coughing up yellow phlegm with a chest that feels like its been walked all over by elephants.
I have had so many blood tests my arms hurt but as per the docs never find anything wrong!

My family sometimes think im exagerating and often try to force me back to work i just wish they knew how i felt. As for work they must be fed up and i cant say i blame them but when i get these infections i can barely get up out of bed let alone go to work!

The lack of energy the constant drowsiness and dizziness from all the various medicines and anti biotics utterly drain me and i get out of breathe with ease. I cant eat properly as my appertite vanishes and i get terrible sickness and diahrea from the medication.

My life has been effected dramatically i miss so many special events, nights out with friends and families, parties etc etc Im always having to say "i cant" Any suggestions will be so appreciated!

Darryl

Hi Darryl,
just wondering how your getting on with work? I understand what you mean. a few years ago i lost my job due to recurring chest infections. i missed so much work it was no wonder. i ended up being hospitalised on so many occasions and no one knew why i was getting so many. i would be feeling fine one minute and then next minute i'm burning up and developing serious chest pain, shortness of breath etc. after many many tests i had a camera put into my lungs and they then discovered the problem. so, a few years ago i was told i had bronchiectasis.
now, i'm not saying you have that, but often chest infections can be brought on by so many factors....stress, sinus problem, nasal drip, not taking nasal sprays properly, not taking asthmatic medications properly, allergies, working in places that have high germ levels ie working with children who are not very aware of hygiene.
if you have been on a lot of steroids, i recommend that you take extra calcium. steroids destroy the bone density over a period of time. trust me...i know all about that! em, what else can i tell you? make sure you always blow your nose and dont sniff the cattarh in, this is no good for your lungs either. i'm sure i could keep going but hopefully this much will help any of you with chest complains. i'm not a doctor but i hope this is helpful. all the best!
:-)

Hi I suffered and still suffer, but not so regularly, constant chest infections and sinus so bloked tht I have had three radical surgeries. I got so ill after years of blood tests and antibiotics that I went to another doctor. Fortunatly she put her hands in the air and sent me to a Physcian. he took one looka t me took blood and diagnosed me with hypogammaglobuliunaemia. He said if I had waited another 2 weeks I would of died. I had been in hospital with pnenomia septisemia and bronchitus 28 times o9ver a three year period. I am now well and vertually infection free. I go into hospital once a month and have infusions of Intragam to build up my immune system and I praise God that I found a doctor who listened to me and relised that she did not know what and how to help me. the disorder is rare, but it may do you all good to be tested by a special blood test that involves having your Igg's and sub clases tested. Do it save your life and keep your jobs. It is well worth it to feel alive again. I have test every 6 months as I also have another auto immune deficiancy, my thyroid is dead. I take stumulants for that and it is a constant battle keeping that in order.
I wish you all well and hope that you all take the step to have this test done, if you are still suffering. There is nothing worse than being asked by a doctor if you have munchhousins disease because you are so constantly ill. Help them help you.
Regards Karren : :-D

My heart goes out to you. I too have asthma (from birth), and I had bronchitis as well as a child. I also get lots of chest infections, but I have learnt to live with them now (I am 49 now). I used to have a blocked nose all the time, but now take prescribed anti histomine 365 days a year it is really inportant to get the right inhalers and take them. After this, try the following, they really do help. keep your dairy consumption to a bare minimum. Try rice milk instead of ordinary milk. Try to cut out as many processed foods as possible, and eat as much garlic and horseradish sauce you can. Go to a good herbalist and take advice, it will be well worth it I promise. Echinacia is the main herb to be on. I totally understand about how ill you feel with your conditions. I take weeks to feel ok sometimes (even if I look well to everyone else). Just try to make the best of your good days by doing things to strengthen your lungs like swimming or cycling. Also, singing is the best treatment for asthma, so maybe join a choir or just sing in the shower. Also, seriously consider moving house to a warmer dryer climate if you live somewhere cold and damp.

hi i have just read what youve written about your reoccuring chest infections and i cant belive i am exactaly the same and i thourght it was just me! how r things with you? do u feel any better?

One of the main symptoms of being exposed to chemtrails is upper respiratory infections and subsequent mucus reaction. This is why your doctors are baffled. It is being fed to you from the skies - believe it or not - please search chemtrails. It is a terrible situation that is happening all over the world. New flu's and colds that last months and never really clear up - sound familiar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nTfqLmdtAHM

Hi,I've started having all the same symptoms you have since the start of september this year.Taken antibiotics and steroids,clears up but 5 days later get another cold that goes straight back to my chest.Im 31 years old and feel like an old man,even a short walk and I'm out of breath.I have slight asthma but don't know why this illness won't clear up altogether,fed up with not being able to sleep pro ply each night.Went for chest xray few weeks back,getting my results Friday,hope it can be sorted.

I've had this sort of thing for most of my life, particularly as a smoker and rarely doing anything relating to physical fitness.
However, in my late 40s I stopped smoking (for 6 months only though) went to gym and got fit. I went froma 36" waist to 29", 85kg to 74kg, going to gym 3 - 4 days a week generally. It all stopped after that. My answer? Get fit, really fit, and your lungs and body will expel this nonsense c**p we sufferers habitually get. Believe me, it works.

i had exactly the same problem untill i went to a herbalist who actually sat and listened to me for an age ,,he made some concoction for me and within 2 weeks i was perfect. didnt even have to take my inhalers anymore ,,,i still get chest infections but maybe once or twice a year and each time i feel it starting i ring the herbalist and he makes my bottle up ,,,,modern medicines are designed to make your body dependant on them ,,try a herbalist ,,, i was in my late twenties . fit.ate healthy and drink lots of water ,,kayaking swimming running were my hobbies  so people couldnt understand why the healthiest guy they knew was always sick ,,,i thought i had every disease known to man over the years ,,,,but no its just a combination of air quality ,c**p they put in food and general stress im guessing ,,,im betting you feel better now you realise your not alone ,,i know i certainly am

good luck to all

Are you still alive?

This has been a bad year for me. I'm at 9 chest infections and I feel itchy on the inside all the time. I cant take it anymore I wish I could go on timeout from my body just for a break. I see people on the bus coughing and sneezing and I want to attack them and then start crying just for spreading disease ( one of my fantasies). Ive always had chronic inflammation but as I matured its become worse. I am currently receiving dust shots just hoping on my knees that I can recover to the way I used to be. I grew severely depressed and stopped eating until I got to 130 pounds off of 170. I always remember there are people worse than me who cant even leave the hospital and constantly have to be on prednisone who have my sympathy. After high school I might disappear into the mountains where I train away from everyone to prevent illness until I come back fitter and stronger with lung rehabilitation. I got one bad chest infection in grade 10 which lasted for 4 months that permanently made my lungs worse. I have had a scope down my lungs but they couldn't even find scar tissue. All they saw was inflammation. I understand how defeated you feel sometimes, how empty, how excluded, trapped and frustrated. I meditate and keep a philosophical mind set knowing that what we endure now will only liberate us in the future.

this is the exact same as me as soon as i read this out it related to me so well the doctors just keep giving me steroids it may help but i still get one every month its so anoyying! ive been for a chest xray and you can see it all on the left lung but theres nothing to do ive had phumonia and loads it just dosent go and ive had so much time of school! and i really enjoy sports!:(