Hi. I`m 52 and have this persistent cough and went to see my doctor. The chest x-ray has shown that there is something in my lungs. I went for a CT scan, also. Something is still there, I call it a mass. Guessing that it could be some sort of an inflamation, or a lesion. I fear that this mass is a lung cancer. What could it be? I`m not a smoker.

Hi. That something in your lung could be a lot of things other than lung cancer, especially if you are a non-smoker. It could be a benign tumor, a lung infection, an allergy or the granulomatous diseases. Your doc will probobaly have to biopsy the lesion. Anyway, the symptoms of primary lung cancer include coughing, coughing up blood, chest pain and shortness of breath. Coughing up blood is the common symptom which occurs in a great number of people with lung cancer. Coughing up blood is a really bad sign. Also, repeated respiratory infections can be a sign of lung cancer.