I'm 27 years old, and here’s my problem, I hope that you can help me with it: lately I have been having this incredibly strong and above all annoying itch on my labia. Yesterday while I was in shower I have noticed slight redness and some white spots on the inside of big labia and allover small labia, both inside and outside. There’s also a certain level of swelling probably because I have been scratching at first, but I stopped doing that because it caused me pain. Also the amount of vaginal discharge has increased and the discharge has a very strange smell. Please help me should I go talk to my gynecologist about this matter. Did I catch some sexually transmitted disease?

The symptoms you indicate that you may have yeast infection of candidiasis. Candidiasis is very common among women, it can be developed anywhere on the surface of your skin but it appears more frequently in moist and warm places like vagina for example. You didn’t mention anything about your sexual habits and I have no clue how did you get it. I think you shouldn’t have anymore sex until this problem is solved because you can also get your partner infected with it, if he or she is not already infected. To ease the symptoms you should wear cotton underwear and avoid tight clothing like thongs for example to prevent further irritation and to allow the area to breathe. You should talk to your doctor about this so he or she can give you proper treatment and further advices about the disease, you will probably get some vaginal antifungicide to fight off candida, some over the counter vaginal medicines can also be used in treatment, but let that decision be up to your doctor.