My aunt has been diagnosed with discoid lupus erythematosus. I have heard about lupus before. However, I haven’t heard many things about discoid form. I know that it mostly affects only skin. This form rarely affects other organ. I think that in less than 10% of all cases with this form can develop in time some changes in other organs. I would appreciate if someone can provide me with more info. Thank you in advance.

Hi. I notice that you are well informed. Discoid lupus is a form of disease that affects only skin. It is mostly in form of sores that are inflamed. They mostly appear on face, ears or scalp. However, they can also appear on other parts of the body. You are quite right when you say that about 10% of the cases tend to develop some organ damage. There are some provoking factors for appearing of these lesions. I think that sunlight and cigarettes are some of them. I hope this helps.