Hi. ok so i got my period when i was 14 and i now am 17. I started out wearing pads(cuz it seemed to be more comfortable and less scary then tampns.) anyways..i now want to start using tampons (like if i want to go swimming or play sports) but every time i try its no use no matter how relaxed i become. It seems like its going to go all the way in but then doesnt and only goes half way in. And another thing IT HURTS LIKE HELL to insert the tampon. I get sooo upset cuz i know that if i cant use a tampon then i basically have to opt out of swimming....it would jsut be so much better if i could just use a tampon and not a pad!!! ARg what do i do??? i cant go through my entire life worrying about if im going to get my period when i want to go swimming etc. :-(

Just relax yourself. Buy the junior tampons, i recommend playtex easy glides., regular fit. They come with a plastic applicator, not card board.
Sit on the toilet to apply it. Don't be afraid to push that plastic tube up there a bit, you won't loose it. Hold it between your middle finger and your thumb and use your pointer finger to push it it. When you feel your pointer finger just touching your vaginal area (outside) that tells you the tampon is in. The string will hang freely on the outside of your body so you can pull it out to change it. You may need to try it a couple of times. If it pinches you after you think it's in right, try again, if it feels like it sticking you on either side of your vagina, try again. If it is placed correctly, you shouldn't feel it all.
The discomfort you feel may be that the tampons are to big for you, you don't need super unless you have a heavy flow. The fatter the tampon the heavier the flow.
You can also wear a panty protector along with your tampon for added security until you get used to them. You will eventually figure it out and you won't even know you have it in. Because they can be so comfortable, don't forget it's in there. I always wore a pad to bed at night, i was afraid to leave a tampon in for so many hours.