Couldn't find what you looking for?

TRY OUR SEARCH!

I'm 14 and I want to use a tampon, but I'm scared to. I've been using pads since I was 11 and I want to try something new. Does it hurt to insert one? I'm also worried about TSS!

Loading...

It's sad that you can't discuss this with your mother. :'(
Reply

Loading...

TSS is very very rare. I started using tampons my VERY FIRST period, which was at age 12.

SLIM tampons are small, and they are not painful to insert. IF it hurts, it means that it is not inside of you correctly. THAT was the first thing I learned.
Reply

Loading...

My Daughters all use tampons.

One was particularly fearful of hurting herself using a tampon and would tense up each time she tried so of course, she didn't have much success. It took her several months of trying to finally get the hang of it.

My youngest started her first period on a day I was at work. She called and told me, I mentioned to use a pad. She wanted to try a tampon and I suggested she wait until I got home. She went ahead and tried it anyway, called me 2 minutes later to tell me she was successful. She hasn't had a problem since.

I guess what I am trying to say is you have to relax when you try it. It is definitely much easier to do with relaxed muscles. Also, be sure to buy the SLIM version at the beginning. It won't be long until you can move up to the larger sizes.
Reply

Loading...

Hi Dominicana4life,

Just a little bit of information for you. Dont forget to voice your fears or questions to your Mom too, Moms can be a little more understanding than we sometimes think (trust me I know).

Toxic shock syndrome is a rare, life-threatening bacterial infection that has been most often associated with the use of superabsorbent tampons and occasionally with the use of contraceptive sponges.

In 1980, an outbreak of toxic shock syndrome occurred that mostly involved young women who had been using a particular brand of superabsorbent tampons. The cause of the outbreak seemed to be toxins produced by Staphylococcus aureus (staph) bacteria. Toxic shock syndrome can also result from toxins produced by group A streptococcus (strep) bacteria

The signs and symptoms of toxic shock syndrome may include:

A sudden high fever
Low blood pressure (hypotension)
Vomiting or diarrhea
A rash resembling a sunburn, particularly on your palms and soles — which, after a week or so, generally leads to peeling of the skin on your hands and feet
Confusion
Muscle aches
Redness of your eyes, mouth and throat
Seizures
Headaches
Researchers don't know exactly how tampons may cause toxic shock syndrome. Some believe that when superabsorbent tampons are left in place for a long time, the tampons become a breeding ground for bacteria. Others have suggested that the superabsorbent fibers in the tampons can scratch the surface of the vagina, making it possible for bacteria or their toxins to enter the bloodstream.

The brand of tampons associated with the original toxic shock syndrome epidemic in the 1980s was voluntarily taken off the market by the manufacturer. After that, the number of cases of toxic shock syndrome declined dramatically.

It's not just young, menstruating women who can develop toxic shock syndrome. About half the current cases occur in nonmenstruating people, including older women, men and children. Toxic shock syndrome has occurred in women who had been wearing a diaphragm or a contraceptive sponge. It's possible for anyone to develop toxic shock syndrome in the course of a staph or strep infection. The syndrome may occur in association with skin wounds or surgery


You can reduce your chances of getting toxic shock syndrome by changing your tampon frequently, at least every four to eight hours. Consider using the lowest absorbency tampon you can and try to alternate using tampons and sanitary napkins whenever possible.

Toxic shock syndrome can recur. People who've had it once can get it again. If you've had toxic shock syndrome or a prior serious staph or strep infection, don't use tampons at all.

I hope this helps.

Blessings,
Hizgrace
Reply

Loading...

YEAH... I forget the brand, but they were made with a chemical of some sort too..I believe...
Reply

Loading...