I taurine (from energy drinks) harmful to women that are pregnant or trying to become pregnant?

Taurine is a nonessential amino acid and it is considered generally safe for consumption. It can be found in foods such as meat and fish proteins and it is commonly added in energy drinks. Pregnancy is special condition and it changes everything and that includes the foods that you are eating and drinking. Some foods that you were eating every day now can make you sick and the same thing is with taurine in energy drinks and supplements. So if you haven't been using them before you shouldn't start now. But if you had than keep it at minimum. Consuming taurine in quantities of about 3,000 mg per day is considered to be a safe but you must be aware that this number is calculated for adults and not for pregnant woman so be careful. And my advice is to talk to your doctor because he is familiar with your body so he can tell you what is best for you and your baby.  

I see a lot of sites warning about taurine while pregnant.  But there is (admittedly) absolutely no science to back up that warning.  Yet I have found other sites which specifically highly recommend that pregnant women take taurine "to prevent epilepsy, insulin resistance, impaired glucose tolerance, diabetes, impaired neurological function, vasculardysfunction and growth retardation in the developing foetus and newborn."  The fact that taurine has been used as an ingredient in infant formula since the 1980s for prematurely born infants because they cannot synthesize cysteine (which is a derivative of taurine) seems to somewhat back that up.  I'd like to know more, and stupid warnings simply saying "don't take this while pregnant" are not at all helpful.