Hi, I am pregnant and I am smoker. How bad it is for my baby? I want to fin the most easiest ant fastest way to quit. It would be the best to stop right away, I know.

HI, as you know a baby in the womb gets nutrients from its mother by blood. Nutrients and oxygen, but also all other ingredients of mothers blood reach foetus via the placenta and umbilical cord. Smoking exposes the foetus to toxins present in tobacco smoke, decreases chances for development of abnormalities. The amount of toxic carbon monoxide which replaces oxygen, and child's blood will contain less oxygen than normal. It can lead to the foetal heart rate to rise as baby struggles to get enough oxygen, to lower rate of development of all organs and tissues.

When I was pregnant I looked at it this way - Its fine to have a few bad habits but its a completly different thing to inflict the effects of my smoking habit onto someone who has no choice. I gave up not long after I found out I was pregnant but I did cut down for a few weeks before I gave up and was only smoking about 5 a day which made it alot easier and less stressful. I also set a date that I was going to stop smoking on. I didn't have a ciggie while I was pregnant but six weeks after baby was born I started again :-( Good luck - You can do this, It will be hard, but the health of your baby is more important!!! :-) BTW some people will tell you that the stress of giving up will be bad for the baby but in the long run nine months of smoking is alot worse than a week of stress.