I used to drink energy drinks everyday for the past 3 years and sometimes multiple times a day because I was working out pretty hard training for a fight. Well I guess I just got so use to going to the store and grabbing a can of Monster or Rockstar low carb drinks whenever I felt I needed to have a boost in energy. About a year ago I started noticing that my stomach would get upset when drinking an energy drink and I would have a bowl movement pretty quickly after drinking the full can. I associated it with the same type of reaction I get from a cup of coffee so I really didn't think it to be anything to worry about and besides bowl movements are very good for regulating weight as I learned from a Colonist a year ago. Now my stomach growls and bubbles quite frequently now and I have cut energy drinks out of my diet about 3 weeks ago. I was hoping that by doing that I would have eliminated this issue but it doesn't seem to be stopping. I'm eating as healthy as I possibly can and I work out everyday. I'm a big dude standing at 6,1 and weigh 295 pounds and I am really working hard to flatten out my stomach. Now you may look at that number and think, "Well that's your problem you're obese!". I'm not even close to being obese, I'm buff. Growing up reading muscle and fitness and during the 80's it seemed there was a rash of muscle heads in every movie out. And so I wanted to be as big as I possibly could but now that I am 36, I realize that being freakishly big does not mean you are in shape. I had to learn that the hard way when I started boxing. Now my goal is to be lean as I possibly can. I'm not taking any other supplements now and I may make a protein shake every now and then but nothing consistent. Has anyone found any info about energy drinks damaging internal organs?

hey my mom was just diagnosed with malignant stomach cancer. she ate pretty healthy. she worked really hard and had lots of stress, but i'm uncertain if it was more than any other working class person. she was not fit and did not exercise. we did full exams, including a PET scan. there is nothing else wrong with her body, other than the cancer. the only thing really unhealthy she did was that she drank a can or more of red bull every day for several years until she began to have stomach and chest pains whenever she ate. she went in for exams earlier but none of them came out, as the type of cancer she has is very hard to spot. i found your post because i've been trying to find if there is any correlation between energry drinks and stomach cancer, and as usual, google and the internet is highly unreliable. if you also have bad breath with no avail to hygeine and yellow eyes, i highly suggest you get an endoscopy and a CT scan, just to be safe- that never hurts. perhaps you just have stomach bacteria. best wishes to you.

I am having the same symptoms as djcross. About 4 months ago, my stomach suddenly started gurgling really loudly and I have gas. I have managed IBS for 20 years and have never had symptoms like this. The change was really sudden. I originally thought I had some kind of bug, but it continued. I have been drinking about 1/2 can per day, using this instead of coffee in the mornings to get going, for about 2 years.

A friend told me when I first started drinking them that his close friend died of stomach cancer in his 30s and that he drank a Monster every day. He said it "sets you up for stomach cancer." I do not know what he based that on, and I did not pay much attention at the time. But when these symptoms suddenly started, his words came back. Now I am reading your 2 posts. I wonder what the relation could possibly be, if any?

I recently started probiotics, so we will see if that has any affect..

I have found exactly the same thing has happenned with me recently, I drink energy drinks in the morning to try and pep me up before a workout, but my stomach has become increasingly irritated by these drinks but the scary thing is that it continues even when i dont drink them

After reading these posts I am going to get off of them, I guess its just a matter of what do I replace them with? I can't stand the taste of coffee and I have I try sports drinks but they dont do anything to wake me up. Creatine also upsets my stomach.

From some research that I have done I have found that fizzy energy drinks such as monster, mother and samedi all increase the ph level of your stomach meaning that you have a more acidic stomach this probably leads to the gurgling and bubbling in the stomach. Drinking these once a day will probably increase stomach acidity quite a bit and you need to wait some time for it to come back to normal.

I would probably suggest drinking lots of water and i know it sounds wierd but also eating asparagus as it has alkaline properties and will ease the symptoms.

If you haven't had it before mintec can provide a little relief in a natural way. However I have found that the effects diminsh if you take this for longer periods.

I am no doctor but I wouldn't be at all surprised if there is a link to stomach cancer with these drinks as anything that irritates your stomach on a constant basis will put you at risk.

Thanks for the posts

One link you can attribute stomach cancer to these drinks may
Indeed be the higher acidic level in the stomach! Cancer loves acidic environment!
However, sodas and other foods and beverages also can influence the ph balance of the stomach! I'd be curious what the ph in the stomach is after a monster drink and especially if consumed on an empty stomach, what damage long-term could result? Indiana R.N.

wow. thanks for ur honest comments. im never touching one again.

guest wrote:

im having the same problems as i drink a can of energy drink everyday the cramps i get and the suden rush for the loo is terrible after reading these posts im never touching another 1 again

Well im 13 and I drink monsters but not too often. But this past week I drank one every day for like 5 days, and ever since then my stomach has been hurting and when I eat, I immediately get that rush of diareaah. And then I sit down to use the toilet and I get kinda constipated. It sucks. I want it to go away

Ok so im only 15 and i praticlly drink energy drinks every morning and so does my best freind ive been feeling sharp pains in my stomach i couldnt even move i dont think any one wants to know but ive had diarrhea alot in 10 minutes but im thinkinh i have the stomach flu but i dont think so?? Ive also had a fever too??

Quote:

i get that same thing im 15 and ive been drinking them for the past 2 weeks

well i have been thinking about the same think , problably thats the reason why i feel the suddent interest in the comment and the page , im 18 yrs old boy , i work for the last 15 months everyday by selling cds of my own band , and i work from 12- up to 8-9 pm in the evening everyday exept sundays and overweek saturdays , but its knínda hard stress , and i need energy drinks to do it , so i started in the first month by drinking about 3 up to 5-6 red bulls a day , in the 11th or 12th month i once drank a box , 24 cans in a day but that only happened once, a stupid thing to to , but i quitted about 2 and half months ago with a reason of small pain in the back of my brain , hands shake for the last 1 and a half month and felling of walking underwater or smth , as well a stomach ache, but its hard to think that if u stop drinking what would happen , energy drinks have actually killed people who after using go straight ´to make some sport activity , like running 60 m-s or etc , it causes with the sport so called heart attack.. quiestion for readers , any suggsestions of what may happen if use this big amount of it , or the better quiestion how long have i got to live .. ?

I was doing the same thing and found out that I have something called ulcerative colitis. It's extremely painful and my stomach constantly makes noises. I have also lost a lot of weight due to frequent nausea and abdominal pain. Everything makes me sick! I, too, have drank two to three Monster's a day for the past year. They can treat with steroids but I opted out and changed my diet. I still have attacks but not as frequent. I'm also a lot healthier than I was. Best wishes to you! This stuff is no joke!

I drank monster only very rarely, when I need to stay up all night studying for exams for example, but last year something happened that made me swear it off altogether.  My boyfriend to be, who was my good friend at the time, had never had a Monster or done an all nighter before, so I shared one with him and we settled in to have good times.  About a half-an hour in, however, my friend's stomach started hurting.  He was very healthy, and the last time he had gotten sick was when he was a little kid, so stomach aches were pretty unusual for him and he figured it must have been the caffine and drank some water.  We continued talking and hanging out, however, his stomach pains kept getting worse and worse, and I started getting worried because of the way the Monster I had given him was affecting him.  About an hour into the all-nighter, he was writhing in pain on the ground, and I was praying I woudln't have to call an ambulance for him.  He finally threw up, and seemed to feel a lot better afterward. 

However, the next day, even though he felt better, his appetite was completely gone.  Fine, understandable.  But he also wasn't hungry the next day.  or the day after that.  A week later he was still eating only a few mouthfuls of food per meal, and even when he felt very hungry he got full after only a few bites.  I was really worried about him, and tried to get him to see a doctor, but he only laughed and said it was good, because he had always eaten to much anyway.

Three months later, he finally started getting his appetite back, but only after he had lost 30 pounds in 3 months.  And keep in mind, he was never what you would call chubby, just had some extra college- kid weight.  He didnt have 30 pounds to lose.  We both decided that the incident was really wierd, and that he must have been allergic and th emonster damaged his stomach somehow, but I never found anything else on the internet like it.  Some of these stories have pretty bad stomach problems from long term monster, but I havent seen any short term....Anyway, thought I'd leave my little story.  and after reading these stories and knowing this one, I wont ever drink monster again.

I drank 4 or 5 Monsters a day for about three years. Recently I quit smoking and the urge to drink Monsters went away. I have noticed that after I quit I'd get very bloated after I ate. It didn't matter how much or how little I ate. In fact its hard to even eat a large amount of food because I get bloated so soon after i start. I'm constantly constipated and have pains in my stomach. I don't have health insurance and this is why i dont have it checked out. But I think the monsters may have done something to my intestines or stomach lining. I've been taking Probiotics and that seems to help a little. Maybe you should try them. Probiotics are bacteria that help maintain the natural balance of organisms (microflora) in the intestines . The normal human digestive tract contains about 400 types of probiotic bacteria that reduce the growth of harmful bacteria and promote a healthy digestive system. Try taking them and see if that helps.

Drink lots more water bro. Monster at 13 is never good.