Hey there. I want to start a new topic :) As I were saying, I have a new pet, she is adorable, and I want to learn how to raise her as soon as I can and as better than I can :) Today I was feeding her with canned food, because I don’t know much about feeding cats, so I don’t know is canned food good for her? I mean, she is kitty and she is so small and cute :)

Can you tell me are there advantages of feeding the cat with canned food only? Would you recommend me to feed her only with canned food? 

Hey. Um, I am not so sure that there are a lot of advantages of feeding the cat with canned food only. The canned food for cat is ok, but only temporary, if you don’t have a time to feed your cat with homemade food. Of course, if you want to give your cat canned food, you should give her dry food, but not that often. That is because dry foods contain 30 to 40 percent of carbos or more. But still, I really would recommend you to make food. Give your cat canned food only when you need to. 

I am not familiar with any advantages of feeding my cat with canned food. I’d love to hear them so that I can feel less guilty when I don’t have the time to prepare homemade meals for her.

That’s the only advantage of  canned foods if you ask me- it takes much less time to go to the pet shop and buy canned foods than to buy raw, healthy, organic food and prepare delicious meals for your cat at home.

Oh, and there is one more advantage. Since it’s much healthier, raw and organic foods are way more expensive  than canned foods.

Hi. I am not familiar with advantages of feeding the cat with canned food. I am almost sure that there are no advantages as well, beside the thing when you don’t have any time to prepare a food to your cat, and you give him canned food. That is the only advantage that I know. It is true that canned foods are cheaper than fresh, raw food, but that is not a good advantage if you ask me :)

So, feed your cat with fresh, raw food and give her canned food only, but only when you don’t have so many time to cook. 

Hi guys.

Well, I don’t agree that there aren’t any advantages of canned food for cats. As you may know, some brands of canned foods are made from the special mix of ingredients including different kinds of meat (chicken, tuna, turkey), different kinds of vegetable (carrots, spinach) and so on. As a result of this, you have a lot of good nutrients in the single can of food. For example, one good brand of canned food for cats can consist mix of: vitamin a, vitamin c, high quality proteins, carbs and minerals. That’s pretty amazing if you ask me.

Just be careful when you choose the brand.

There are so many advantages of canned food. 

First of all, there is long shelf life. Canned products have consume by date of 2 years at least. 

Then there is also easy storage. When you have a small fridge like I do, it means a lot when your cat's food takes away only some space in the fridge door. 

And the best thing is, many canned foods don’t even need to be kept in the refrigerator. You can keep them at room temperature. That will also make it easier to heat it later. And that leads to lower energy expenditure. ;)

No, I still don’t believe that canned food has a lot of advantages, especially if you are feeding them ONLY with canned food. Canned food can be healthy, good, full of vitamins and proteins,  but this is not the same. I know because I was giving my cat canned food for one month – actually, my mom was giving her canned food, because I was not there and she was feeding her. Well, she was really weak, she got sick several times. When I came back, I was giving her homemade food and she was fine.

For me, the only advantage is because you will save a little money and a little time. 

Pros: you spend less time preparing meal for you cat; cheaper than raw food bought in local grocery store / butcher shop; lasts longer and you can store it easily; mixture of various meat / veggies / supplements

Cons: fewer nutrients than raw foods; you cannot choose your optimal mixture…

But we are all forgetting one tinny thing (which is the most important of them all) – taurine. Too much canned foods don’t contain enough taurine. Like you already know, lack of taurine cause serious heart problems in cats.

If you can supplement taurine, you can give your cat canned food. If not, switch towards raw food. It’s simple as that.