Hello. My wife is pregnant and she didn’t have rubella earlier. She doesn’t have it now, but one of her friends does, so my wife’s doctor told her not to get close to that friend. I would like to know why this is. Is it possible that rubella has teratogen effect? I would really appreciate all your replies.

Hello. Of course that rubella has teratogen effect. The most dangerous period for a pregnant woman is first trimester. Miscarriage is possible in that period. Pregnant woman mustn’t come in a contact with nasal secretion from a sick person. The risk decreases in second and third trimester. Birth defects are also possible. Some of them are: hearing loss, eye defects, heart defects, growth and mental retardation. That is why your wife should listen to her doctor. I hope everything will be all right. Bye!