I know that laryngitis is an inflammation of vocal cords. Unfortunately, I know it because I have experienced it before, and again now. I wonder when I should see a physician, and how he might treat my laryngitis. I was thinking I should visit him because I have difficulty breathing this time and a fever over 101 degrees. Can you give me these answers, because I do not know what to do?

Symptoms you have reported require doctor’s exam and probably treatment as well. If you have difficulty swallowing, deep cough or, brown, green or yellow sputum, you should definitely visit your doctor. I would recommend you to check with your doctor if diagnosis is laryngitis, and to get appropriate treatment in this case. Probably he wills advice you to suck on cough drop, a throat lozenge or hard candy. You should also stop smoke and avoid places where cigarettes are smoked. A humidifier, preferably a cool mist ultrasonic humidifier, will help in treatment for laryngitis. These are more expensive than the usual vaporizer, but are safer and more effective in most patients. If nothing you what you would try does not clear your symptoms, try standing in a hot shower. You can use aspirin, Ibuprofen or Tylenol for the temperature, muscle discomfort and pain, but only under your doctor’s advice. Treatment for laryngitis is gargling with warm salt solution.