hi for the past couple of months it feels like there is something is constantly stuck in my throat and its starting to get on my nerves, im 20 years of age and male. i went to the doctors about it like a week after it had started, he said it was nothing more than a throat infection, he prescribed me a strong ibuprofen witch i had to take for 2 weeks, it did seem to calm down when i was taking them but it still feels like its still there, the thing is though its not causing any pain for me atal its just a major annoyance, i cough a lil then usual but thats about it, and also every time i take ibuprofen it stops for a while then comes back like hours later ? i just hope its nothing serious as cancer is my worst fear. would anyone have an idea what this could be ?

Thanks !
Kane Pearce-Scott

Can you cough it out? Throat mucus can be described as that uncomfortable feeling that you experience when mucus clogs up your throat or drips from the back of your nose. Throat disorders such as tonsillitis, strep throat, catarrh, laryngitis often have symptoms of mucus in the throat. Clearing your throat will help the phlegm loosen or break up in the back of the throat, giving way to the uncomfortable feeling . Make sure that you drink plenty of liquids such as water, juice or tea with honey, and gargle daily with warm salt water to thin out mucus. Various over-the-counter medications such as paracetamol, ibuprofen, antiseptic gargles or saline nasal sprays may also offer pain relief.

Yeah only sometimes but its not all the time it feels like i have mucus in the throat, i have coughed some up last week but thats about it, like today i feel absolutely fine i cant even feel it atall, but i bet maybe tomorrow or later i will come back to that same feeling i just really want to get this sorted as its really irritating, and sometimes i get the feeling like i want to itch the inside of my throat? its really weired its like a feather tickling my throat and i want to put my hand down and scratch ?

The main causes of an itchy throat are viral, bacterial or fungal infections of the throat, dry, allergies, acid reflux, continuous vomiting, diagnostic procedures, singing or speaking loudly for a long time, infection of sinus or lungs, tumors in throat wall or vocal cords, etc. Gargling with lukewarm saline water is one of the popular itchy throat remedies. Add 4 tablespoons of water to three cups of water and boil the solution. Use it for gargling, when it cools down a little. Repeat the process every few hours for better results.

Thank you for helping me April, i smoke now and again but that only makes it 10times worst, i shal be quitting today.

so do you think what i have got sound serious to you atall ?. if i was coughing up blood and had no voice then i would have something to worry but i don't. all i seem to have is im coughing a little then normal and dose sometimes feel like there's something stuck in my throat right near the (Tonsil or On The tonsil itself) but no pain or blood or nothing. my left tonsil is sometimes enlarged maybe that's the feeling like there's something stuck in my throat? but i don't know. i have heard getting cancer at my age is quite rare ? only when i pass the age 40 it would be more easy to get. its been like this for a few months now, the ibuprofen dose help sometimes, but i just want it to go. how long do infections like this normally take to go? sorry if im writing to much, but i just need some information that will help me not be so worried about it.

Thank you

Kane Pearce-Scott

No, need to apologize. First of all don't even think about cancer. Yes, coughing blood and voice loss would sound serious, but you don't want to reach that point. Smoker's cough typically doesn't affect new smokers but it will often bother people who smoke heavily, especially over a period of many years. When/if you quit smoking it may take several weeks before your lungs begin to recover from smoking. I read that it takes seven years for your lungs to recover completely. I know how hard quitting cigarette can be, but do it for you. It may be challenging to quit, but smoker’s cough indicates that your respiratory system is damaged. If your cough is caused by some infection you'll need antibiotics. The healing time depends on cause an severity of the infection.

Thank you for your help, I now can take my mind of it been serious & actually get some sleep instead of worrying about what it could be , if this hasn't gone within 5weeks of quitting smoking i shall go back to the doctors and get some antibiotics.

Kind regards
Kane Pearce-Scott :-)