The downside of high crude oil prices is obvious: it now costs more to fill up your gas tank, and food and commodity prices increase due to higher transportation costs. This leaves all of us less money for other things. Hardest hit are the working poor. Even the middle class people can feel the pinch. However, there is an upside to all this. People are driving less and are using public transportation more, meaning there is less pollution in the air. People are walking more and are riding their bicycles more. This all translate to more physical activities and better health.
If you are reaping the health benefits of high crude oil prices, please share your experience with us. If you disagree, also please share your experience with us.

A newspaper article reported that whenever there is a spike in oil prices, there is a corresponding dip in auto accidents. The author surmised that people tended to drive more conservatively (lower speed and easier on the gas pedal) to save fuel. Such practice undoubtly saved lives. My local newspaper reported that public transit ridership has increased tremendously in many cities. Less automobiles on the road means less air pollution. Cleaner air means less respiratory distress for people suffering from asthma.
I began using public transportation on a regular basis since February 1, 08. My house is only 5 minute walk to the bus stop, and my office is another 5 minute walk from the bus stop. That added 20 more minutes of walking per day to and from work. I feel healthier and more mentally alert.

hoseclamps wrote:

I always wondered if anyone was accepting those guidelines (small steps) on how to increase activity in everyday life like walking to your office, taking the stairs instead of elevators, doing some gardening, walking to the near by shop or post office and stuff like that and now I see that people do. Good job Hose, I hope many other people do the same.

ays wondered if anyone was accepting those guidelines (small steps) on how to increase activity in everyday life like walking to your office, taking the stairs instead of elevators, doing some gardening, walking to the nea