Cops: Man Invents Story to Make Wife Leave

Wed Aug 3, 9:32 PM ET

OCALA, Fla. - A man made up a story about killing a hitchhiker and burying the body in the woods in an effort to persuade his wife to leave him, authorities said.

Teddy Claire Akin, 28, of Ocala, was charged Tuesday with making a false report and petit theft. He was being held without bail.

Akin's wife, Felicia, called the Marion County Sheriff's Office Monday to report that her husband had told her that he killed a hitchhiker, authorities said.

Akin told investigators he had picked up the hitchhiker, who wanted a ride to Tampa. He said he hit the man in the neck, causing him to gasp and make a gurgling sound, when the two got into an argument over how far Akin would drive him, authorities said.

Akin said he dumped the body in a forest near a gun range and kept the man's wallet, which contained the license of Utah resident Dennis Legrande Allen, authorities said.

Deputies searching the area Akin described with dogs and an air unit failed to find a body Monday evening, Capt. Thomas Bibb said.

Akin eventually told investigators that he was going through a divorce and had hoped the murder story would make his wife leave him, said Sue Livoti, a sheriff's office spokeswoman.

"It seems he wanted to get a little attention and sympathy from his wife," Bibb said.

Akin told investigators he found the wallet on top of a newspaper stand. Investigators reached Allen in Utah by phone; Allen said he did not know Akin.

The sheriff's office would probably bill Akin for the cost of their seven-hour search, Bibb said.

"This was something that cost us a lot of time and energy," Bibb said.

A message left early Wednesday at the county public defender's office was not immediately returned.

I swear to you that people are getting more f'd up than ever!

Why can't people just talk, tell the truth and not make up stories?

:x

:LOL:

I'm sorry. That's wrong. But it is also freakin' hilarious.

At what point in his conversations with Johnny Walker did he ever think this would be a good idea or that it would even work?

Hair-splitting time:

Shouldn't she have been the one who should be charged with filing the false report with the authorities?

(I did resist changing the guy's name to one of our favorite Riff Raffers. Just sayin' )

well if he had been married to Jennifer Wilbanks no there would have been no problems, she'd just runaway herself.

Holy c**p! People are messed up!

Wouldn't it have been easier to kill her and dump her body in the woods?

/just sayin'

True dat. Kids today. They don't want to do the work involved anymore. They're all talk. No game.

True dat. Kids today. They don't want to do the work involved anymore. They're all talk. No game. :LOL: remind me never to tick off Aire or PH :umno:

51 ways to leave your lover
The problem is all inside your head She said to me The answer is easy if you Take it logically I d like to help you in your struggle To be free There must be fifty ways To leave your lover She said it s really not my habit To intrude Furthermore, I hope my meaning Won t be lost or misconstrued But I ll repeat myself At the risk of being crude There must be fifty ways To leave your lover Fifty ways to leave your lover You just slip out the back, Jack Make a new plan, Stan You don t need to be coy, Roy Tell her he's dead, Ted. Just get yourself free Hop on the bus, Gus You don t need to discuss much Just drop off the key, Lee And get yourself free She said it grieves me so To see you in such pain I wish there was something I could do To make you smile again I said I appreciate that And would you please explain About the fifty ways She said why don t we both Just sleep on it tonight And I believe in the morning You ll begin to see the light And then she kissed me And I realized she probably was right There must be fifty ways To leave your lover Fifty ways to leave your lover